Author Topic: Head Gasket getting blown out  (Read 4814 times)

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.65 @ 175mph - 1/4
  • Your Engine: 560 BBC
  • Your Track: Sacramento
  • Your Vehicle: 185" FED
Head Gasket getting blown out
« on: April 20, 2015, 07:46:41 AM »
So after a very violent tire shake and breaking a ton of stuff on my car we noticed oil  being pushed out of the intake seals like the crankcase was being pressurized even though I have a vacuum pump.  On tear down I knew I probably had a cracked exhaust port on the #6 cylinder as I saw water in the exhaust pipe and turning the motor over shot water out of the spark plug hole.  Could water in the cylinder cause the head gasket on the #6 cylinder to blow out instead of hydraulicing?  Now as far as the #7 cylinder it looks like the stud hole where the dowel is may have cracked or something as there is rust there.  This is a merlin block and these are supposed to be blind.  Could water leaked into this one too?

Definitely taking heads in to get pressure tested but have never seen a head gasket get blown out like this on both sides.

thanks for your thoughts.

Scott

dreracecar

Re: Head Gasket getting blown out
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 11:50:33 AM »
Time for a complete tear-down and check the whole rotating asembly

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 01:31:08 PM »
Time for a complete tear-down and check the whole rotating asembly

yes I would do a complete tear-down

I have had this happen on my car from violent tire shake! what we found was during the shake the mag happened to spin causing the timing to retard which in turn left us with what you are seeing. Now on my combo it was an 11-1 blown alky SBC 24 lbs boost and aluminum heads it torched the copper head gaskets and put some trenches in the heads.

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 01:37:55 PM »
Scott, do you pictures of the cyl heads?

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.65 @ 175mph - 1/4
  • Your Engine: 560 BBC
  • Your Track: Sacramento
  • Your Vehicle: 185" FED
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 02:12:03 PM »
Already have.  All the rod and main bearings look good.  Going to get the heads and block checked for warping.

I do have pics of the heads but will have to post them tomorrow.

Here is a link to the pass.  It ended up breaking the wheelie bars, bending the front end (both sides), broke the oil pan, broke the crank mandrel, broke both floats, the mount for the coil as well as toasting the ignition box and cracked the valve cover that caused the oil you see at the end of the run.  I am sure I am missing something it broke LOL.  Got in and out of it 2 times and shook 3 times and still ran 168mph

http://s393.photobucket.com/user/burnout1969420/media/Dragster/GOPR0055_zps7cybillh.mp4.html