Author Topic: Rear Tire selection  (Read 48931 times)

Offline codysisson

• Cody Sisson, Northfield, MA
    • View Profile
    • Sisson Engineering Corp
  • Your Best Time: 7.90 @ 170 MPH - 1/4 Mile
  • Your Engine: SBC, Injected Alcohol
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2011/2014 Worm Front engine Dragster
Rear Tire selection
« on: April 09, 2015, 04:21:34 PM »
I am running a 180", 1300#, 360CI small block on alcohol. Rear gear is 4.57, Glide, Engine dynos @ 540HP. I want to run a 31" Good Year tire but all I can find is a 12" wide tire. Right now i am running  a 10.5 wide tire.

I have to buy a set of rims so I have a spare set of tires but I wanted to find out from you folks if you thought a 12" was too much meat.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Oldschool

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.42 in a BB Chevy Altered 9.28 in my Vega
  • Your Engine: 434 Scott Shafiroff Racing Engine
  • Your Track: US 36 , Mo Kan and Heartland Park Topeka
  • Your Vehicle: 173" Front Engine Dragster
Re: Rear Tire selection
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 05:13:01 PM »
I am running 13x31x15 D5 Goodyear Eagle with a 700 hp motor. I would say 12" is not to much.
Very nice car
It is not the years in your life
But the life in your years

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 07:06:30 AM »
The 10.5's are a nice tire, there isn't a need to overtire a fed.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Offline LZ

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: In progress
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2010 225" S&W
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 08:31:12 AM »
Cody:
Beautiful car, nice 8). The lighting effect with the shop makes for a great shot.
What events are you planning to hit?
thanks and good luck
Luke
"I am not a number.... I am a free man."

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 12:35:25 PM »
On our car with the 355 injected engine the Goodyear 2585 was the best tire I ran. A 12" tire on a 12" wheel.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 12:06:18 PM by George »

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 06:45:34 PM »
When we rand mid to low 8's in one of our old FEDs we used a 31x11 doesn't look like a tire size offered by Goodyear any longer

Offline Pipe Dreams

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.09@165
  • Your Engine: 416 small block MOPAR
  • Your Track: Milan,Mi or Norwalk,Oh
  • Your Vehicle: 170" woody gilmore fed
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 07:33:10 AM »
I've had good luck with a 31x 10.5 hoosier,but trying a set of 2585' s this year.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 11:09:14 AM »
Cody Nice looking car ! It's getting harder and harder to find the right tire for one of these cars ! The 2585 Goodyear is no longer in production but Jon Hansen bought  A bunch of them and might be able to help you out with a set. Have you run the car with the 10.5's ? I have a friend who is running a 10.5 on a F.E.D. and he is running mid to low 8's with his I will ask him witch one he is using . I have also run a Hoosier 12x33 Co9 compound and it was pretty fast but a very aggressive tire. Nice to see another F.E.D. here in the north east hope we can meet in person at the track ! Bill 

Offline codysisson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 03:38:38 PM »
Thank you for the compliments and information.

Luke,
 I had a friend of mine take pictures for me and I love the effects of this one. I hope to hit all the nostalgia shows at New England Dragway and if all  goes well I would like to get over to Lebanon Valley at least once to support them as well. Also June 20th there is an old time drag race (330'), flag start 1972 and earlier cars and dragsters at Sterling Airport, Sterling, Mass. Should be a lot of fun!!

Bill,
 I first ran 31 x 10.5 Hoosiers that I loved but I was twisting the engine too high so I went an bought a set of Mickey Thompsons 33 x 10.5 which brought my gear down but I did not like the way they handled on the track and especially on the launch.  My thought now is to stick with the 31's, and raise the gear. I like the idea of as small a tire that works well. Everyone I have spoken with has recommended going to GoodYear but They do not seem to have the narrower tire so I would have to go to a 12" wide tire. I have a friend who has a set of GoodYears and I think I will be able to try them at my next test session. It is really good to know that Jon has a stockpile of these tires!!

I look forward to meeting you Bill and anyone else up here in the NE!!

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 11:56:56 AM »
great looking car! I have a Worm 200 inch and have just started out--I also have the 33x10.5 MT's
What exactly did they do that you did not like? I have experienced some different things but thought it was the different tracks, staring line prep and...my inexperience--down track things have been comfortable--I have been looking for best air pressure, leave RPM, wheelie bar height, etc The Youtubes of your car look like it leaves perfect! Share more --help me with your MT experience
Interested in your engine combo as well.
Thanks
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline codysisson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 05:09:40 PM »
Hi Dave, nice to talk with someone else with a Worm Chassis! I only put 6 runs on the tires but each launch I felt as it shifted ever so much to the side. I played with tire pressure from 7-8 pounds but no difference. My first run the track was cool and at the 1000' foot mark i felt the tires break loose as the the car started to walk to the side and for the first time I had to drive the car back to the center. My times were very close to my Hoosiers 31 x 10.5. The Hoosiers launched and drove just as straight as a die. The only reason I went to the 33's was to to raise my gear ratio which it did.
The highest RPM i have left so far is 4000 Rpm. I finished the car last September and was only able to get 10 runs on it so I wasn't trying to push it hard. My wheelie bar height is 2", My Hoosier tires, CO7 ran the best with 7.75 pounds air pressure.

THe engine is a 366, 13:1 compression. .680" valve lift, ported Dart Pro II heads, filled block. The engine dynoed at 535 Hp at 7000 Rpm and there was more left  but I didn't want to push it too hard. All my runs I made I had the engine tuned according to my dyno data around 485 HP so there is quite a bit left.
Right now all I want is seat time. I plan to rent the track in a few weeks to do a bunch of testing.
I sent my converter out to be checked and what I was sold was a 5600 RPM stall but what I actually had was a 7800 RPM stall converter. Needless to say that should change things up a bit!!
Call me on my Cell anytime if you want to talk and let me know if I can help any other way.

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 09:46:32 PM »
I have a set of M/T 33x10.5x15 that I got to try from a Heritage A/FD, he didn't like that they don't grow, which is what he was looking for. He tried tire pressures from 6# to 8#, and didn't like the way they handled. I know some racers want to try a narrower tire because they are not making 700-850 HP, and GoodYear is not making a 11" tire now, so on paper it looks like the 10.5 would be worth trying. In a way it's too bad the 10.5 tires are not made for FED's.   I was interested in trying them after seeing how much Matt Hadford from Total Seal Rings improved his B/DA [ before he went to Pro Stock] when he replaced his 33x14.5x15 GoodYear and Hoosiers. Matt picked up about 2 tenths with the M/T on 14" wide wheels. After talking to slick manufactures and some racers that pointed out all the 10.5 tires are designed for the 10.5 door car classes. So I think the biggest difference in those tires is a lot stiffer sidewalls to handle 3000+ lb door cars and softer compound to work with "dead-hook, shift, dead-hook, shift," etc. Most FED's are looking for more tire speed to keep from pulling the motor down out of it's HP range. 
 I never ran the 10.5's because I was advised that to make them work, I would have to run a 14" wide rim, not legal for Heritage JrFuel. Also they weigh 44 lbs, a whole bunch more than the 22.6 lb D2585 GoodYear 31x12x15 we run now. You know it takes power to turn rotating weight. A common idea is one pound of rotating weight is equal to 9-10 lbs of static weight. so if your car is over weight now, and your car weighs less than 3000 lbs, you might be better off trying the GoodYear 31x12x15. We started out running the GY 31x12x15 slicks on 10" wide wheels, and as we made more power we had to go to wider rims, 1'st 11" now 12". The wider rims also helped with 1/2 track traction, but the with the wider the rims the tires grow less, ie higher trap RPM and/ or lower top speed.
There are allot of Heritage and ANRA NE-1 [ 7.60 bracket] FED's running GY 31x12x15 on 10" rims.
Jon, Hayden Wheels, 800-624-3803
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 10:07:09 PM »
Opps I forgot, yes I have a special order in with GoodYear for 170 of D2585, 31x12x15 slicks which are being made now, so we should be getting them soon. Call me if you want any. The reason they are on a special order is GY put that tire on an "inactive list" in 2012 because of low sales, but this is the second pre-sold special order I submitted to GoodYear.
BTW, I also have a special order in for GY D1288, 33x12x15 which they will be making next month. 

Cody, who made your 7800 stall converter and what size is it, 7" or 8" or 9", and who's fixing it for you ?
We run a 7" A-1 converter in JrFuel, matter-a-fact, all but one JF teams are using A-1. I helped a SWJFA racer by letting him use one of my tighter 7" and he picked-up almost two tenths with his all iron SBC injected alky 700-725 hp FED. It's all about letting the motor run in the RPM range it's happy. A rule of thumb is stall should be 1000 to 1500 below your shift point.
Have fun !
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 07:11:31 AM »
Love this conversation and feedback!
I put the 33 MT's on because John Worm said so-- and because I have a killer deal at my business on MT's.
Since I have brand new car-- have never had a dragster-- all of it is brand new to me-- though I have drag raced for over 25 years now--I love a door car because when you get it right it Stays right. I feel like by seasons end I will get a handle on the dragster. I jumped in and made full pass on my first run and it went pretty darn good. Now after visiting the track 4 times total 8 runs I see I have a long way to go. The big deal for me so far has been lack of good feedback after each run--I am yet to have same crew help. I got a video camera on for my last pass and learned more from that one run than all others so far. I feel like that will be a BIG help as the year goes on--My car hates a poor track, like test night minimal prep--It seems fine on good tight track--I started out at 11 lbs per Johns instructions and have had folks laugh at that so I have come down little at a time to now--8 lbs--car 60 ft'd the best at 11 lbs and high RPM launch --I like leaving at 2000 RPM range --I am foot braking--no interest in trans barke at this point--keeping it as old school as possible--I always loved foot braking --just the way I am. It did rattle the tires one time at the gear change on a very slick track--don't want that to happen again--Geeez! Can't afford the dental work--it was not fun!!
The more I talk with other dragster owners and the more I watch it seems that even the guys that have raced an FED for years will have issues from time to time concerning launch, tires, shake, etc
These cars seem mercurial at best. I am sure there are some vets that have one running like a Swiss watch but most seem to all fight same issues.
I am a rookie, need seat time and experience. I understand that I need to ask and listen --the only reason I throw out anything I am doing is in order to get a response from folks with experience so I can learn and Be safe.
I really appreciate this forum and the positive help.
I am having a ball and look forward to making lots of runs this season--My club Southern Slingshots is chock full of good guys--we have lots of cars--they have been super helpful.
I have strung the car several times--seems ok--rollout is within 1/4 inch at same pressure-have centered the wheelie bar several times-the video showed my last run making that slight "side step" that Cody mentioned on the leave so I am going to concentrate on good solid evaluation of each run, keep good records and hopefully get zeroed in.
keep the advice coming boys! Thanks
Cody , that is one NICE looking car--congrats! I know you are proud of it!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 02:35:47 PM »
I was just looking in the Goodyear tire specs and they make a 29x12 d5 tire . I wonder how this would work . I guess ground clearance could be a problem . They also make that tire in a 13x31 .