Technical > Dan Dishon's Transmission Den

PG Converter

(1/5) > >>

gasserx:
I have been looking around for a torque converter for a while now, and finally picked one up at another racers garage yesterday. I have not bought it yet, just brought it home to see if it fit.
It says TCI 254204 on it, and as far as i can find on the interweb its a TC for TH350/TH400.
Got home and tried to slide it on, and seems like it popped in twice (both set of splines). But isnt the PG and TH different? Or can the output shaft on my PG have been changed to accept TH converters?

I believe this is the same TC (from Jegs website) as the partnumber is the same, and i noticed something else - will this work with a bigblock only? It says 400, 454 & 455ci - or is this just recomendations from the manufacturer?

8'' Race Converter - Group 4
1965-90 TH350/400
400, 454 & 455ci
Wide Bolt Pattern (except variable pitch & lock-up)

Group-4 Race Converters
Excellent for big-block brackets, Super Street & Super Gas classes. Good top end horsepower, MPH & reaction.
Engine: Big Block
Displacement: 400-485ci
Vehicle Weight: 2400-3200 lbs
Stall Speed: 5000-5400 RPM
Pro Tree/Bracket
Gear Ratio: 4.30-Up
Tire Size: 28"-Up

Im a complete noob when it comes to converters - actually this is the first time i have ever tried to install one, as i have only worked with clutches before.

George:
I would send this information to the builder.

dusterdave173:
On a tight budget almost anything will work--That 8 inch will not stall as high behind a small block as it would with big block but it will work until you can get a correct one--it will not be as fast as the perfect unit but for starters it will be fine. Good used units here are $450 range  new they are from $850 and up --so get that one for a few hundred--stick it in and roll--any higher I would pass and keep shopping.
Used converters are usually crap unless you buy from a pal or trusted source so .....very risky on condition if you don't know seller--add that to cost if a bad converter fills your trans with crud and ruins it..
The right converter makes a combo but that being said they are like rubber bands and almost any 8 inch would do fine for starting out--knowing that engine you have-- something around 6000 stall designed for a small block would be ideal.
My used flea market converter is very loose but works great! Car loves it.

dreracecar:
For reference purpose the standard PG input shaft spline is .880 dia where as the "turbo" shaft is larger in dia.A turbo shaft will not fit a standard PG converter, but  a standard input will fit a turbo style converter--just wont work. Check the spline pattern in the converter turbo is a fine spline and the PG is course spline

gasserx:
Will it be to any help if i share a picture of the shaft on my trans?
Or count the splines?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version