Author Topic: PG Converter  (Read 12659 times)

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 - 9.08
  • Your Track: Gardermoen Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 180" FED
PG Converter
« on: March 13, 2015, 01:02:19 AM »
I have been looking around for a torque converter for a while now, and finally picked one up at another racers garage yesterday. I have not bought it yet, just brought it home to see if it fit.
It says TCI 254204 on it, and as far as i can find on the interweb its a TC for TH350/TH400.
Got home and tried to slide it on, and seems like it popped in twice (both set of splines). But isnt the PG and TH different? Or can the output shaft on my PG have been changed to accept TH converters?

I believe this is the same TC (from Jegs website) as the partnumber is the same, and i noticed something else - will this work with a bigblock only? It says 400, 454 & 455ci - or is this just recomendations from the manufacturer?

8'' Race Converter - Group 4
1965-90 TH350/400
400, 454 & 455ci
Wide Bolt Pattern (except variable pitch & lock-up)

Group-4 Race Converters
Excellent for big-block brackets, Super Street & Super Gas classes. Good top end horsepower, MPH & reaction.
Engine: Big Block
Displacement: 400-485ci
Vehicle Weight: 2400-3200 lbs
Stall Speed: 5000-5400 RPM
Pro Tree/Bracket
Gear Ratio: 4.30-Up
Tire Size: 28"-Up

Im a complete noob when it comes to converters - actually this is the first time i have ever tried to install one, as i have only worked with clutches before.

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
Re: PG Converter
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 04:21:05 AM »
I would send this information to the builder.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 07:23:56 AM »
On a tight budget almost anything will work--That 8 inch will not stall as high behind a small block as it would with big block but it will work until you can get a correct one--it will not be as fast as the perfect unit but for starters it will be fine. Good used units here are $450 range  new they are from $850 and up --so get that one for a few hundred--stick it in and roll--any higher I would pass and keep shopping.
Used converters are usually crap unless you buy from a pal or trusted source so .....very risky on condition if you don't know seller--add that to cost if a bad converter fills your trans with crud and ruins it..
The right converter makes a combo but that being said they are like rubber bands and almost any 8 inch would do fine for starting out--knowing that engine you have-- something around 6000 stall designed for a small block would be ideal.
My used flea market converter is very loose but works great! Car loves it.
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 08:04:53 AM »
For reference purpose the standard PG input shaft spline is .880 dia where as the "turbo" shaft is larger in dia.A turbo shaft will not fit a standard PG converter, but  a standard input will fit a turbo style converter--just wont work. Check the spline pattern in the converter turbo is a fine spline and the PG is course spline

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 08:22:26 AM »
Will it be to any help if i share a picture of the shaft on my trans?
Or count the splines?

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 08:58:02 AM »

dreracecar

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 09:03:25 AM »
Thats a turbo spline input shaft---good to go ;)

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 09:11:36 AM »
Thats a turbo spline input shaft---good to go ;)

Thanks a lot dre  8)

..oh, one more thing, i believe it should go a little bit further in?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 09:15:18 AM by gasserx »

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 09:25:17 AM »
The thing to keep in mind is to call TCI and find out how much it will cost to change the stall on this used converter, and add that what you are paying for the use converter. I'm sure you don't want that total figure to be more than what a brand new converter will cost.
The ball park stall number you should be looking for is 1,000 to 1,500 RPM lower than your shift point. You see if you have a converter that stalls/ flashes at say 5,000, but you motor "comes on" at 6,000, your combo will struggle for 1,000 rpm. BTW converter flashing is where the RPM drops to right after the shift, which is the true stall speed. Plus if you get your converter working where you want, and then you increase your power, then the converter will flash at a higher RPM.
Good Luck, and have Fun

Jon Hansen, JrFuel "B" , Hayden Wheels, and JrFuel Dragster Association 
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 03:30:45 PM »
I will work out a perfect converter combo later, now i just want to get on in there so i can just try the car and to get my license  8)

Why cant i get the input axle the rest of the around 1" thats missing?
Any advice is  good advice now...before i eat my cap and tear my hair off. Trying gently to turn and working it place, but not working ...  :( >:( :( :-\

dreracecar

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 05:18:40 PM »
If you pulled the input shaft out of the housing, what happened is that there are 2 steel sealing rings on the shaft, pull the shaft completely out and check the rings, they each should interlock with themselves, if not and the locking tab is broken then they have expanded to a point where they will not colaspe enough to go into where they should be

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 07:45:36 PM »
Sounds like you got all the right advice. Just for future knowledge PG spline is 17 and Turbo is 30. Definitely check the sealing rings on the input shaft, but sometimes they are just stubborn!

Thanks for the question, Dan   

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 05:30:00 AM »
As far as shafts go: I ran the 4340 shaft with the PG spline for several years behind the injected 355 (640 hp) with never a problem. When we put the 377 6:71 setup in the car I installed a 300m turbo spline shaft with no problems so far. We really haven't leaned on it yet ( 58/58 ratio) but after sorting it out this year I plan on moving up to 15% over. I see the TS 300m is rated up to 1150hp. What is the life cycle on these shafts? I know anything can be broken but should I look to move up from the 300m ?  The next step is the 2517NASA shaft rated at 1800hp. Thanks . George

Sorry no hijack intended. I saw questions on PG shafts and jumped in.

dreracecar

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 09:09:51 AM »
The 300m shaft is more than anyone on this site will ever need. Mine is going on 12 years running low 7's @ 18 over

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 07:14:40 PM »
Horse power is not the only factor when choosing an input shaft. Some things to consider are type of launch, foot brake or trans-brake, how hard your converter hits, and is your car suspended or solid. Solid cars tend to suffer from tire shake and this can be hard on everything including the input shaft. Another thing is does your car dead hook or spin. When all things are factored in it is always better to err on the over kill side, the last thing you need is an input shaft failure in the final.

Hope this helps, Dan