Author Topic: How much toe in on fed 1/8"? & fire system location info please  (Read 4159 times)

Offline imcamod17

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Muncie Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 200" Hal Canode FED
How much toe in on fed 1/8"? & fire system location info please
« on: February 25, 2015, 02:35:24 PM »
I just wanted to verify how much toe I need to put in my new fed. I have been driving circle track for 20 years and I am used to 1/8" toe out. So 1/8" toe in just sounds funny. Anyone. And where is a good place to install a fire system, way out front or behind the seat (pros and cons)? ??? Thanks

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
Re: How much toe in on fed 1/8"? & fire system location info please
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 05:45:22 AM »
1/8" toe in is a good place to start. Fire bottle location can be tricky because you might use them to balance the car, which is to say that you might start out with them at the front then try them in the back and end up with them up front again. Its one of those questions with no right answer.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 08:41:48 AM »
I went through this and started with 1/8th
Turns out that main deal is squaring it all to the rear tires
I ran string down both side "just touching" slick sidewalls ( correct tire pressure )
Un hooked my tie rod
squared the left front to the left rear then locked steering in place with clamp
the squared right front to rr slick  measuring from front of rim then rear of rim using 3 and 9 o clock positions
measure from wheel rim to the string
Then lock that wheel in place
now install tie rod--recheck everything
It was easy to set toe by measuring from the sting to the front wheel rim

when I set toe any other way it did not come out right
after that car drives like a dream
i am sure this is a back yard method that is not what chassis shops do but it has worked for me and is simple and cheap

I used jack stands set about 4 ft behind and 4 ft in front of car and used small string pulled very tight

car drives great with anywhere between 1/8th in and almost no toe in

Just my rookie two cents worth
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 09:59:21 AM »
Generaly speaking, most spindles have a flat edge on the fork section, clamp a section of alu angle to both spindles and that will square them up, then adj the ty-rod  to that. Problem I have found with the "string method"(and have done it that way before) is that some builders dont used right and left rod ends  when building the ty-rods and you have to remove it to adjust it and the whole car moves and you have to re-adjust the string. Square the spindles, adj the ty-rod, turn the ty-rod out 1 rotatetion (or each rod end once) attach steering rod and set steering wheel to desired possision ( may require rolling/towing)