Author Topic: Compression Ration SBC Mild Blown  (Read 8537 times)

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Compression Ration SBC Mild Blown
« on: February 25, 2015, 04:17:31 AM »
OK
I am putting together a short block for a mild SBC 671 blower engine for grins--not going to lean on it--have a decent 671 with some wear but ready--have a correct fuel pump, have a cam 260/270 at 050 on a 112, have a new set of aluminum rods 6 inch so getting ready to buy pistons--always heard 8:1 but in recent post DRE says he is tad over 10--now he is serious comp unit--mine is for fun --can I run that high CR? It seems lot more choices for 6 in rod pistons will put me in the 9-91/2 to one range unless I do expensive customs which for this build I do NOt want to do
I am going to be playing
Rinning mid 5 in 1/8th with a 350 stack --not aiming to go lots faster just have a blower unit for grins and fun
Thanks!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
Re: Compression Ration SBC Mild Blown
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 06:13:28 AM »
Running 10.4:1 with 6:71 stripped 1/1 . We have seen 10psi on our tale tell gauge setup ( yea no computer) . Iron heads and no problems. The combo weight is #1700 +-. I am very impressed with the performance as it has run in the 4.50s at our local 1/8 mile track. I set it up with a .060 copper gasket so I could go thinner or thicker but so far no need. Its a 377 ,6" aluminum rods , Venolia pistons.

Timing was 30-33.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 04:38:43 PM by George »

Offline Frontenginedragsters

• View Profile
    • Pro-Formance Specialties
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 06:35:59 AM »
Dave:
 The posting by George above mine is right on. 8)
10 to 1 compression will work fine. I'm sure your talking alcohol.
Start with 1 to 1 on the blower and about 20* timing. Sneak up on the timing.
Matt
Driving a Front Engine Dragster builds character and keeps you awake for a 1/4 mile at a time.
http://www.pro-formancespecialties.com/

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 07:43:54 AM »
THANKS! Like I said --just want to play around a little--The 20 degree timing is great advice--did not know to start so low  Yes alky for sure--
   I have a set of pulleys that are one tooth diff like a 35 and 36 so that should work

I really appreciate the forum and the help
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 08:49:14 AM »
20* NO frickin way

Alcohol burns as a liquid not a vapor like gas, thus it fires off when conditions are right AND changes fireing as conditions change---- thats why you run a magneto because of the long spark duration, so that the spart will be around during those changes.

10+ CR gives you that needed kick to get things going before the blower comes in. Alc is extreemly hard to pre ignite (detonation) Anything less ( in reletive numbers)and you are just making a pig out of it.

On a cold motor if you had 20* of timing, you would prob fire of the cyl at 14/15 deg btdc and warmed up only have 20* in it??. Minimum I would start with is 29/30* at anywhere below 2000' corrected and 1* per 1000' after that

Its all about makeing the motor happy. The same engine I run, many years ago, because of class index, I ran 5 over on the blower, 29* of lead,and thru a lot of fuel at it (fat) to slow down to 7.60 and the motor was not happy about it. Now because of 7.0pro, I run 18 over, 34*lead, and trim the fuel back and use a high speed, now the motor runs clean and is happy (same spark plugs all year and 15 passes before I change oil)and still not even near a tune-up range that will start hurting parts.

The amount of blower boost/overdrive is what makes the combo mild, but basic motor/fuel princibles must be adheared to first and foremost

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 10:04:09 AM »
Cool! Why I am on here   thanks to everyone!

Offline Draw 3D

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Blown Alky 406 SBC
  • Your Track: Wild Horse Pass
  • Your Vehicle: 1923 T Roadster
  • General Location: Arizona
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 10:48:10 AM »
I agree with dreracecar, on my SBC, I have 11:1 compression, spinning the blower 10% over with 30° timing in the mag for my mild setup.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 12:33:44 PM »
20* NO frickin way

Alcohol burns as a liquid not a vapor like gas, thus it fires off when conditions are right AND changes fireing as conditions change---- thats why you run a magneto because of the long spark duration, so that the spart will be around during those changes.

10+ CR gives you that needed kick to get things going before the blower comes in. Alc is extreemly hard to pre ignite (detonation) Anything less ( in reletive numbers)and you are just making a pig out of it.

On a cold motor if you had 20* of timing, you would prob fire of the cyl at 14/15 deg btdc and warmed up only have 20* in it??. Minimum I would start with is 29/30* at anywhere below 2000' corrected and 1* per 1000' after that

Its all about makeing the motor happy. The same engine I run, many years ago, because of class index, I ran 5 over on the blower, 29* of lead,and thru a lot of fuel at it (fat) to slow down to 7.60 and the motor was not happy about it. Now because of 7.0pro, I run 18 over, 34*lead, and trim the fuel back and use a high speed, now the motor runs clean and is happy (same spark plugs all year and 15 passes before I change oil)and still not even near a tune-up range that will start hurting parts.

The amount of blower boost/overdrive is what makes the combo mild, but basic motor/fuel princibles must be adheared to first and foremost

Ditto DRE statement.

I have run 10-1 all the way up to 11.4-1 in my blown alky SBC's timing anywhere from 25° to 34° depending on the combo and cylinder heads used. I typically run 30° and around 24lbs of boost

Offline Frontenginedragsters

• View Profile
    • Pro-Formance Specialties
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 08:56:08 AM »
I beg the courts forgiveness.
I wasn't thinking clearly.
it won't happen again.

Matt
Driving a Front Engine Dragster builds character and keeps you awake for a 1/4 mile at a time.
http://www.pro-formancespecialties.com/

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 09:41:33 AM »
I beg the courts forgiveness.
I wasn't thinking clearly.
it won't happen again.

Matt

20 lashes !!!! ;)