Author Topic: Which data logger for a FED?  (Read 10396 times)

Offline Mister_Fitz

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Trackless
  • Your Vehicle: FED
Which data logger for a FED?
« on: February 08, 2015, 02:21:27 AM »
I'm planing to get a data logger for my FED. I have been looking for a while but haven't found any that feels 100% right.
What data logger systems are you running? What experiences do you have, which systems are good and which once are great?

My FED has 150" WB runs a NA sbc with alky injection, mag and a PG trans.

I want a system that have lots of channels since I plan to record pretty much everything I can. All from EGT to mag current to wheelie bar speed.
The system needs to be compatible with universal sensors, for example to scale a 0-5 Volt signal from a universal sensor to what ever unit it measures. And the same for sensors that has a pulse/frequency output. It would also be good if the logger had a CAN-bus that could be used to connect other sensors.

I have seen that some data loggers has a display unit. I do not see the benefits of that and would rather have the possibility to use a Laptop to view the sensors online.

What could you recommend? :)

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: Which data logger for a FED?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 06:50:16 AM »
I run a RPM Performance

I have a pretty basic unit (DL20, 20 channel) which is expandable to more channels if needed.

I collect RPM, Coolant temp, Fuel Pressure, G-Force, Blower Pressure, Voltage, Oil Pressure, EGT's on each cylinder, Drive shaft speed

Customer service is just outstanding

Link http://www.rpmperf.com/

Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Mister_Fitz

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Trackless
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 11:07:47 AM »
Any one with any experience of Racepak and Computech?
Are there any other brands that are used out there?

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 12:16:41 PM »
learn to tune without, that way when the system crashes you can still race

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 02:37:34 PM »
Fitz, I have been racing with a RacePak V300 for 12 years, in JrFuel which is not a bracket [ 7.60 pr 7.0] class. Bruce is right "learn to race with-out a computer" and Bruce has been racing a long time with his combo, and has learned how to race "old school ". If you don't have the time or want to get at it  ASAP I would suggest RacePak. It's what the pro's use, but the most expensive. I heard Alan Johnson was gathering 100 points of input. RacePak is the most common data system I have seen. If you are not using a magneto, RacePak has a "Sportsman" system for under $1k. As far as the V300, the cost depends on what you want it to record. Best is to call RacePak for your application. I record  engine RPM,  driveshaft RPM [ ie wheel speed] fuel, oil, & trans pressure, fuel flow, fuel CC per turn, all 8 EGT's, head temp, forward and sideways G forces, battery voltage, vacuum, trans brake release, and engine/ driveshaft ratio [ trans slippage]. Also a video  that we can look at on my RacePak laptop and then stop it to see what the video and the RacePak charts are showing us. I am always trying new combo's, & parts to improve our performance and can't imagine racing with-out my RacePak.
I know SouthWest JrFuel Association teams and some N/FC mostly run RPM system, it's less expensive and has fewer inputs available.
RPM and RacePak would be the only two I would call if I were you. If you'd like to see what I do, come out to Bakersfield Calif for the annual March Meet the 1'st week-end in March, or any of the NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel races and check all of us JrFuel teams using RacePak.
RacePak is at all the NHRA national events, visit them if you have a chance.

Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 02:14:03 PM »
Agree learn to tune w/o then use computer.I always read computer and still back it up with old school stuff. You can use computer to fine tune your tuning skills and its great for data.It is a computer and will crash at some time.

Hard to beat racepak. Give Tod Paton a call hes work with them and is racer from way back. Don't tell him I said so but hes pretty smart falla also.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline 32bantam

• View Profile
    • SS3 Race Team
  • Your Best Time: 6.87 at BG 2013 aiming for 7.0
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: 32 Bantam altered
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 07:47:09 PM »
I don't tune with my RPM data recorder. I use  more for preventive maintenance. EGTs for big changes in a cylinder that needs to be looked at.....oil pressure for a drop/change that needs to be looked at...fuel pressure for a change that needs to be looked at....RPM and traction curves... ect. There is only my wife and me so the recorder really makes running the car easier plus it is fun to look at !!!!!!!
The RPM unit does that for us at a reasonable cost.
Steve Walczak

Offline Rusty Kramer

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.90 @ 185mph 1/8 Mile
  • Your Engine: 472CID KB Olds Blown alky 14-71 HH
  • Your Track: Eddyville Raceway Park Eddyville, Iowa
  • Your Vehicle: Self Build Rear Engine BA/D
  • General Location: Midwest
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 01:05:12 PM »
I have an RED but I would put in a vote for RPM.  I have a basic system and it has worked well and the service and tech support is very good also. if you really need more features you may need another system.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 09:14:12 AM »
Race pak.For me Ilike the fact I can expand it and add stuff like msd grid. Its been around longest and to me that meande best chance of them not going away like cygnus did.Anybody need a OLD CYGNUS?
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 09:08:14 AM »
might check out the AEM AQ-1.   use the can bus for logging egt and save inputs for other sensors.  can also use analog/digital to can bus drivers too if more inputs are needed.

just use standard sensors 0-5v, dont have to pay 250 plus for sensors like race pak. 

can also look at MoTec as well, check out their dashloggers.  you get a dash and logger in one, most all can log up to 500hz!!!  the big one will log at 1000hz if needed.  they have modules you can use for egt but i would buy the aftermarket egt to can bus unit and use that.

download the software for each unit your looking at and look at the sample logs.  look at what the logging rate is of each, and look at the cost for sensors and accessories.   race pak is a simple plug and play deal but they nail you on the additional sensors.

i have used both motec and aem, both logging softare interface are similar. 

write down everything your thinking of logging, even if not right up front.  then add up what the total cost is for each to achieve waht you want, then look at the software and the units logging rate.

*** edit ***  get the motec club logger CDL3 with 12 channels and then the E888 for 8 egt with additional channels.  the dash has three screens so you can have a warm up screen, run screen, and whatever screen.   also has a G meter in it too.  go to ebay type in CDL3 and E888 motec.  or john reed racing i think and motec sight.

dean
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 09:17:20 AM by noslin »

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 06:24:48 PM »
I run the RPM unit and highly recommend it. Mine is set up to use some of the sensors I already had. It has 8 -O2 sensors and that has been a huge help in tuning. I have learned some things you simply can not learn on a dyno or on the track by itself. Yes, you should learn to tune but the logger gives you much better, more reliable and faster data. Big help if you can translate it all.