Author Topic: Where to return fuel  (Read 14573 times)

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
Re: Where to return fuel
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 06:54:29 PM »
GREAT! Thanks for posting the pictures. I bought a 6' piece of 316 stainless from Grainger and picked it up on my way thru Peoria today. Thank you! George

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 04:18:16 AM »
Totally T. that log would be a lot better if the returns are angled to the pump instead of at a 90*. Reason being is to prevent cavitation of fuel going to the pump.  Remember, while the engine is running the returns are under pressure, not atmosphere.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

dreracecar

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 08:41:52 AM »
They do offer special tube/hose clamps for soft materials, some have liners, some have rolled edges, some have both, price varies as to size but expect to get a package of 10 for around $12-$14. T-bolt/Marmon type clamps are a bit much,3-4 times the cost, and do not do the job any better, all it has going for it is the COOL factor.

Check out McMaster-Carr as they offer many styles

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 04:55:39 PM »
Well I do something a little different on my NA alky SBC, we just loop a hose right into the intake of the pump. The same way Bob McKray, engine builder and tuner for the last 3 years Heritage JF champion Don Enriquez. Gene Adams plumbed the JF car he worked the same way. They both worked at Hilborn, before starting their own shops.
When I dynoed one of my SBC's another team said we shouldn't plumb it that way because when the high speed opens it puts air into the inlet, well we have been running it for 13 years, but I thought well let's hook it up that way on another dyno pull and see. But there was no difference in fuel pressure or fuel flow. It is simpler/ cleaner/ lighter. All this might be just what you like. 
In 2009 I sold one of my iron RR SBC to a new racer in PA, and he ran some 7.27-7.30's right away but has had some problems since, including real high EGT, and burning up valve seats running the same tune-up we were running 7.18-7.20. He hurt it bad enough to have to replace the pistons. Finally he just sent me his lap top so I could look at his RacePak run info. What I found was every once in while his fuel pressure dropped a bunch and at different parts of the run. What we think is problem is braided AN fitted fuel line is collapsing, he even went from our return line loop into the inlet to moving the return lines to the tank , still big fuel pressure problems, even after changing the fuel pump manufacture and going to an adjustable hi-speed. So I knew it had to be something in his race car set-up. I had him look inside the inlet fuel line for a flapper piece in the line, and that's where he found a soft spot in the line, so maybe the pump is collapsing the line. I suggested he build a inlet line like what we run, hard line from the tank and braided flex to the pump.
Here is a picture of our return line loop.
I hope this helps !
Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline KeithDyer

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Wichita Raceway Park - Wichita Falls
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »
^^^^^^^ This guy is one of the smartese racers I have ever encountered!!  And Jon will ALWAYS help if you just ask!!  Thanks, Jon

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 03:18:52 PM »
Well I do something a little different on my NA alky SBC, we just loop a hose right into the intake of the pump. The same way Bob McKray, engine builder and tuner for the last 3 years Heritage JF champion Don Enriquez. Gene Adams plumbed the JF car he worked the same way. They both worked at Hilborn, before starting their own shops.
When I dynoed one of my SBC's another team said we shouldn't plumb it that way because when the high speed opens it puts air into the inlet, well we have been running it for 13 years, but I thought well let's hook it up that way on another dyno pull and see. But there was no difference in fuel pressure or fuel flow. It is simpler/ cleaner/ lighter. All this might be just what you like. 
In 2009 I sold one of my iron RR SBC to a new racer in PA, and he ran some 7.27-7.30's right away but has had some problems since, including real high EGT, and burning up valve seats running the same tune-up we were running 7.18-7.20. He hurt it bad enough to have to replace the pistons. Finally he just sent me his lap top so I could look at his RacePak run info. What I found was every once in while his fuel pressure dropped a bunch and at different parts of the run. What we think is problem is braided AN fitted fuel line is collapsing, he even went from our return line loop into the inlet to moving the return lines to the tank , still big fuel pressure problems, even after changing the fuel pump manufacture and going to an adjustable hi-speed. So I knew it had to be something in his race car set-up. I had him look inside the inlet fuel line for a flapper piece in the line, and that's where he found a soft spot in the line, so maybe the pump is collapsing the line. I suggested he build a inlet line like what we run, hard line from the tank and braided flex to the pump.
Here is a picture of our return line loop.
I hope this helps !
Jon
      Jon was it Walt Conway ? i met walt last year at the Dutch classic super good guy with a really nice fed !