Author Topic: the Prisoner  (Read 46724 times)

Offline LZ

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: In progress
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2010 225" S&W
Re: the Prisoner
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 05:41:58 PM »
Love the car luke

Larry:
Your the Fugitive and we are the Prisoner. Make sure to send a cake with a file....LOL
"I am not a number.... I am a free man."

Offline LZ

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 05:49:44 PM »
Jim:
I see the dates in Ohio and PA. Is that some of the Northern chapter schedule your talking about?
http://southernslingshots.com/protected_ssgshed.html

Niiiiice. 8)

Offline jimc

• Southern Slingshots Northern Race Coordinator
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.93
  • Your Engine: 383 Tom Martino
  • Your Track: Englishtown, Atco
  • Your Vehicle: '70 Ed Mabry 186"
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 04:52:27 AM »
Those are them! We have Pittsburgh in late Sept and VMP in early Oct.

Offline slofomoco

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.35 @ 127 ... 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 383 SBC, Methanol Injected
  • Your Track: St. Thomas Raceway Park, Sparta, Ontario
  • Your Vehicle: 69 FED
  • General Location: Ontario Canada
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 08:08:24 PM »
Nice car Luke!

Offline LZ

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 04:09:34 AM »
Well a little update. Not going to get into MF'ing a company but just to throw this out there.
Thought to save time would just buy a Hemi to glide Engine plate with an SFI Flexplate. Figured the couple hundred extra would buy me a few hours of labor savings. Wrong.  :-\ 
First off contacted company before ordering and asked a few questions like. To make sure the adapter was as in picture and located the flexplate on outside of crank flange.  Confirmed by 2 people that it did and its just as picture showed. Also what starter is used and anything special to understand when ordering converter.
Doing a floor check found:

- They sent a bushing that located the flex plate off the rough drilled center hole on crank. What happened to the correct adapter like they said was in kit? For kicks and giggles figured to get some numbers. When I indicated the center hole it ran out over .008 on crank. When said bushing is tapped in place it runs out .009.

- The flex plate has .005 slop fitting to this said adapter bushing.

How we doing so far?  Now the coup de grace.

- Put the starter in the pocket to check mesh.    Nope the starter gears had about .050 in interference from 0 mesh.
 - Put a glide case on to see about alignment from Crank CL to powerglide CL. Now if something is amiss here please let me know but indicated from crank to the pump bore. Loaded my indicator by .030 and when I swung around to other side ( indicator face was facing bell housing ) just lookin at indicator tip could visibly see  about .020 gap from tip to bore.  :o :o :o. Didnt have enough indicator travel to get a full read. 

At this point its discussed ( Matt and I) that this thing is going back.

Anyone have some data they could share on acceptable tolerances with respect to the trans alignment.  Its no wonder I have seen people having issues with pump seal leaks, pump breakage, converters loosening up. 
If you think about these interfaces and tolerance stack up. Its asking a lot for something going to spin up as much as it will.

So just some info please share your thoughts.  Dont be shy. ;)

Material being ordered , moving on
thank you
Luke

dreracecar

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 09:00:38 AM »
Post pics of these parts, I have done 6 of these plates 392-Chevy and no complaints

Offline Van

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.11 @ 189 with this car
  • Your Engine: Lincoln blown alky 534
  • Your Track: Bakersfield Ca.
  • Your Vehicle: Dragster
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 09:28:36 AM »
I made the very first one of these adaptors way back in the late 70's.  I had bought Gene Adams's A/F fed   & decided I wanted to run a auto trans. I made my adaptor plate & flywheel very crude but it was the best I could do with the tools at hand. I never sold one but later when Dave Tuttle (CCE) built his FED  he asked to copy it, I loaned him my Super Comp motor and adaptor & he made up a more accurate one & ran my motor until his motor was finished. I would think anyone with a good mill could make up a very nice one.

Offline LZ

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 02:41:34 PM »
Post pics of these parts, I have done 6 of these plates 392-Chevy and no complaints
Hi Bruce:
Ya the whole intention was to buy a commercial adapter and just cut it for the chassis. Save precious time, how did that work out.  So screw it doing what I should have done to begin with and just make one.
In the photos I zeroed the indicator and moved the item 180 for a TIR. The one shows the slop in the Flexplate and the other shows the runout on the crank. Kills me how sloppy the fit is from the flex plate to adapter.
The other photo if you stare I tried to get a good contrast showing the root ( dark area ) of the starter gear. If you stare through the ring gear and see the root of the starter gear, you can visual the difference. Didn't bother measuring but you can see about .050-.06  ish to zero mesh. If you take into account the mesh clearance the starter is off center by about near .090 WAG.

Thank you for taking your valuable time to herd the Cats... ;)

Luke

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:43:06 PM by LZ »

dreracecar

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 04:30:13 PM »
Usually the adpt plates I make are 2-piece because I am replacing an existing .250" motor plate. The main plate it bored for the crank hole and the Chevy dowels and the 392 dowels.Then I make and attach an trimmed collar locating on the Chevy dowels using some 10/32 flat head bolts. From that point I drill and countersink the 392 flange  holes and drill and tap the Chevy for studs. doing it this way allows for extra material to make the crank OD register on the flexplate.
Great news, I have a customer with this type of flexplate/flywheel that wants to sell it, Came on a car he bought. It has been run before(couple runs) and is in great condition. I will PM you his Number.

Offline Frontenginedragsters

• View Profile
    • Pro-Formance Specialties
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 06:40:34 AM »
Spring is trying to break thru a record cold global warming in February.
Number 6 [Luke] left the village for the month of March for work leave. [another global warming cold month]
Our local track opens in a week.......Weather permitting.
Work on the power plant and drive line for the Prisoner will resume soon.
Luke should be posting updates in the next few weeks.

Driving a Front Engine Dragster builds character and keeps you awake for a 1/4 mile at a time.
http://www.pro-formancespecialties.com/

Offline LZ

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 05:56:44 PM »
Well Howdy all:
These past few months have flown by. Not anywhere near where I hoped to be but it is what it is.
So after scoping out our blocks this dirty little guy here is the one. 354 , Pressure tested  AOK, Striped and on its way for thermal cleaning. When back will start . Its been sitting a Loooong time.
Have to say. Have been giving thought to different avenues last few months to get this car out. Here this little Hemi will be seeing much work to whip it into something that will hold up to its use. It makes most common sense to just put a BBC into the Prisoner as it was built for. But just cant do it. I am a Ford guy through and through but am not a Car Nazi and appreciate all makes. Could for all the work this will take, just buy a nice SVO block and have nice thick Decks, 5 bolts per cylinder Thick cylinder walls , More cubes, etc, etc. and it came dang close. But off the little hemi goes and it starts.
Ford guy putting a Hemi together :o ::) :P ;)....
With picking a path forward I will be selling some extra Hemi stuff when I can get it rounded up if anyone's interested. Will make a list and get it on the for sale section hopefully, in a few weeks.
Thanks much to Proformance Specialties.
Thanks
Luke

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:01:20 PM by LZ »

Offline LZ

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 06:31:28 PM »
Well the block came back and time to introduce the Prisoner to his cell mate.
 I had added in the Hemi dowel locations on the original plate so could get the block in car for preemptive measurements, plans and such. It was gratifying in a small way to see the 2 together finally even being a quick mocked up way.
Everything looks fine , I will have good measurements to start planning a pan, oil pump mounting etc, etc.
Buuuut one thing did come up to bite me, and that always is the way.
The headers wont fit. I have a real nice set of Dan Olsen Zoomies that will be on the market real soon. Oh well that's how these roll.
Did pause for minute thinking about an SVO block again ;)
Endeavor to persevere.....
Have a nice weekend everyone
Luke
Oh the Donovan head is on there to bust the balls.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2015, 06:14:16 AM »
Steve had header clearance problems, they were able to solve the problem, check with him?
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline LZ

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 04:35:00 AM »
Steve had header clearance problems, they were able to solve the problem, check with him?

Hi Glenn:
Ya Matt was telling me about it.
This has taken on  life of its own. This really blindsided me was considering a lot of other things not this. Have been measuring and sketching as time allowed this week. There is a plan in place and that is adapter plates.  Sort of like high port plates on a 351 C  going back to old pro stock days.
This all stems from the very obtuse angle on the Hemi head exhaust side.
Am laying that out now just deciding on what exhaust pattern to adapt to. was looking at Donovan 417 initially but am also considering a 426 pattern as this makes it available to use 426 headers. Also looking at a Brad Anderson 6/8 as it has a nice port design that looks like it will blend in well to match a modified stock hemi port.  Sorta kinda. ??? There is also Flanges available if I try to save time and not fab my own.
Time is everything as Matt and I always joke the hour glass sand just keeps getting shorter. ;D

This has halted any further progress on starting of the block work. Not going to proceed until I am absolutely positive that this will work and not be some mucky mess.
The next alternative plan if this fails is abandon the old hemi and go to another combination. We'll see.
Trying to get this figured out with post haste as I wont be able to work on car most of July.
OK sorry for rambling carry on nothing to see here
Luke

Offline LZ

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 06:58:28 PM »
Hi all:
Well an update, sure you were waiting with baited breath. ::) ;)
So with great sadness I am selling all the Hemi stuff and the Prisoner is going to get a 385 series Ford of some combination. Have been working a list and photos of the Hemi items for sale. Will post on this site first for your consideration.
Needless to say with work and family commitments the car will not see the track this year. :-X We will work as best we can, Will update when something substantial is worth reporting.
On a side note there is another FED in our group coming together and is close to hitting track. Will try to get some photos and info this week and start a thread.

thank you 
Luke