Author Topic: the Prisoner  (Read 46746 times)

Offline LZ

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: In progress
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2010 225" S&W
Re: the Prisoner
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2016, 07:01:31 PM »
Well doing a little to emulate one of my heroes Pete Robinson........  yum yom yom

"I am not a number.... I am a free man."

Offline Van

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.11 @ 189 with this car
  • Your Engine: Lincoln blown alky 534
  • Your Track: Bakersfield Ca.
  • Your Vehicle: Dragster
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2016, 07:42:55 PM »
That's how I do mine. I go down the side and eliminate the mount bosses & also cut the screw in freeze plugs to flush. I use a ball end mill and cut in small steps as I go down the sides in rows, then finish up with a hand grinder to make the sides smooth. 

Offline LZ

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2016, 08:01:25 AM »
So the Pistons and Rods are on order , the Prisoner team is proud to support such a fine drag racing company.
Will be thinking of Joe P as we load the soldiers.

http://www.venolia.com

B seein you.
 ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 09:58:22 AM by LZ »

Offline LZ

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2016, 05:07:58 PM »
Hello all:
Block pretty much deburred. Made up some plugs for valley casting holes.
Good enough to start machining and final deburr afterwards.

Going to give it a tickle on the line hone next. Main Bores measured good but not happy with the finish.

:)

Offline Van

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.11 @ 189 with this car
  • Your Engine: Lincoln blown alky 534
  • Your Track: Bakersfield Ca.
  • Your Vehicle: Dragster
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2016, 05:59:32 PM »
 When capping those holes it's a real good idea to drill drain backs in the front to aid in getting oil back to the pan. Hyflow  Dynamics web site has pics of the mod and others,

Offline LZ

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2016, 10:09:37 AM »
Hello friends and hope all are having a great year so far.
Nice to see some new people and cars coming aboard.
So anyway a little update on the Prisoner.
The cam is here.

and a shot of pistons and rods from Venolia

Line honed the block in , thanks to Matt Shaff and Ken Nojay for pointers. Had not used this machine before.

Because of some good OT at work am upping the Crank budget and am deciding between a Bryant or Callies.
So slow but we will keep at it as possible.
Thanks for watching, BCNU
Luke

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 10:14:58 AM by LZ »

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2016, 08:51:16 PM »
Keep at it!
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline LZ

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2016, 07:14:25 PM »
Well well well.  Its been awhile.
So when you're feeling like " Im never going to get this done".  Were all in this together. Gotta keep moving.

The Cranks here. Took longer then quoted but she's a beauty and I don't feel worthy .
 Hoping to get a bit of work done next week and will post if it happens.

;)
BCNU
LZ

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2016, 09:27:00 PM »
My experience on 12" wide rims, with the 31x12x15 D2585, and the 33x12x15, D1288 is it looks like , by looking at photos going thru the lights, is 2585's grow at least 2 , and the 1288, less, because they weigh 31 lbs, and grow less.
But I assume you are asking about tire growth  trying to figure rear gears, expected MPH, & rpm.  With looking at the RPM's , gears, & MPH, I have found that the 2585's grow a bit more, because they are lighter [ 26 lbs] and with narrower rims they also will grow more. But the bottom line when I look at my RacePak, and ET slips, it looks like if you just plug in the tire dia, ie 31" [ 2585] or 33" [1288] that the RPM is very close to the MPH when using one of the on-line formulars. My 2585's at 190 mph matches the ET slip by using tire dia of 31 1/2". Which of course doesn't make sense compared to the photos, but what we have going on is the converter slippage. So just figure 1/2" more, like 31 1/2" or 33 1/2" to figure on gears, RPM, & speed. i helped out another JF car when he was having traction problems, at the hit, with his 2585's on 11" rims, I let him use my 2585's on 12" rims, it helped, he ran a 7.04. But he did not like the 12" rims because with his 387 ci SBC, he ran lower MPH, because he couldn't pull the wider rim but he would smok'm more often. Part of the difference in our two cars combinations, is his was superlight 1355 lbs with driver [ that's why he built the smaller motor at 3.5 bls per ci] But with his motor out 50" and both of our cars had the same front axle weight, which means he was 90 lbs lighter across his rear axle = less traction. It's all about car balance.
We had two sets of 2585's one set on 11" rims, and another with 12". The 12" rims were for running in the finals at Bakersfield, when the sun was down and the track cooling off.
In our car , last time racing I had 9811 rpm @ 186.61, with 4.88 gears and 9000 stall converter, on the 31 tires on 12 rims, last year at the same track [ Sonoma] we ran 190 mph also on the 31's, 4.88, and a 8528 stall converter. So you can see the looser the converter the more slipage.
Feel free to call me if you are looking for more info/ numbers.
Jon Hansen, Hayden wheels, 800-624-3803, 805-444-4489, or jchansen60@gmail.com
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline LZ

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2016, 05:17:18 AM »
My experience on 12" wide rims, with the 31x12x15 D2585, and the 33x12x15, D1288 is it looks like , by looking at photos going thru the lights, is 2585's grow at least 2 , and the 1288, less, because they weigh 31 lbs, and grow less.
But I assume you are asking about tire growth  trying to figure rear gears, expected MPH, & rpm.  With looking at the RPM's , gears, & MPH, I have found that the 2585's grow a bit more, because they are lighter [ 26 lbs] and with narrower rims they also will grow more. But the bottom line when I look at my RacePak, and ET slips, it looks like if you just plug in the tire dia, ie 31" [ 2585] or 33" [1288] that the RPM is very close to the MPH when using one of the on-line formulars. My 2585's at 190 mph matches the ET slip by using tire dia of 31 1/2". Which of course doesn't make sense compared to the photos, but what we have going on is the converter slippage. So just figure 1/2" more, like 31 1/2" or 33 1/2" to figure on gears, RPM, & speed. i helped out another JF car when he was having traction problems, at the hit, with his 2585's on 11" rims, I let him use my 2585's on 12" rims, it helped, he ran a 7.04. But he did not like the 12" rims because with his 387 ci SBC, he ran lower MPH, because he couldn't pull the wider rim but he would smok'm more often. Part of the difference in our two cars combinations, is his was superlight 1355 lbs with driver [ that's why he built the smaller motor at 3.5 bls per ci] But with his motor out 50" and both of our cars had the same front axle weight, which means he was 90 lbs lighter across his rear axle = less traction. It's all about car balance.
We had two sets of 2585's one set on 11" rims, and another with 12". The 12" rims were for running in the finals at Bakersfield, when the sun was down and the track cooling off.
In our car , last time racing I had 9811 rpm @ 186.61, with 4.88 gears and 9000 stall converter, on the 31 tires on 12 rims, last year at the same track [ Sonoma] we ran 190 mph also on the 31's, 4.88, and a 8528 stall converter. So you can see the looser the converter the more slipage.
Feel free to call me if you are looking for more info/ numbers.
Jon Hansen, Hayden wheels, 800-624-3803, 805-444-4489, or jchansen60@gmail.com

Thanks for taking time to write up and share some info Jon.
Had an interesting conversation a few weeks ago with Mike Milsap from Southwest Jr fuel assn. Nice guy.
When in our discussion we talked tires and of course your name came up ,along with the GY 2585's. (which he was also running) .  He had a set of Hoosier 31.0/12.0-15 C11 on trailer. Remembering conversation as best I can. He said that Hoosier made a few sets of these as they were trying to get a tire out to use in place of the GY 2585. He said that they were heavier then the GY but they worked well in colder conditions. Funny thing was they marked tires just as in there catalog. Did not notice any markings distinguishing these from an off shelve tire? ???. Did not ask him about what they did for his car. But he was selling them if that says something
Anyway sure will be talking to you when the time comes to replace mine.

Hey as long as I have your ear. What would be an acceptable tolerance ( spoked wheels) as far as axially in rotation ? Notice one of my hayden's wobbles a little. They came with car I bought. There beauties Jon and am honored to have them.
Guess as long as were talking, what about a runout tolerance?
Figure to log this and make it a periodic checkout.

thank you
Luke

Offline LZ

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2016, 07:11:01 PM »
Well Hello:
So darn hard to get your head back into the game when you have lost momentum.
But nonetheless a progress report. ;)

So decked the block yesterday. It was just a clean off and square up deal. Its proud on the deck hight but Matt said best place to start and makes sense.
Gives you room to figure head gasket and valve clearance. If we have to set her back up again no prob.

My next step would be to bore and hone. But giving work schedule ahead and using available time efficiently as possible.  Will most likely start on pan next and some odds and ends.
Will give an update soon but in case not. The Prisoner family wish all of you a fun , safe Christmas and Holiday season. Peace and health to you and yours.  :)
Luke

Offline LZ

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2017, 08:35:08 PM »
Hello everyone:
Let me tell a little tale(well sorry long ::)) of of some personal recollection and show a new part for the Prisoner. Not one to open up but maybe someone can relate. Pardon my Grammar.
So this nondescript little box came the day before and its another item to check off the needs list. It was a lot of money in my little world. Something I had been researching the past months for which way to go.
After making the decision last week I called someone who was an absolute cool talented guy in my eyes.
 Lets go back to a time when there were no cell phones. No computers or internet. The only way you found out what was going on with a race in a 24 hour period was if someone you knew was at the race, the old grapevine. Or the other was to wait till Tuesday when National dragster came out to get 2 week old info.
A time when Pro Comp was in full swing. There were WDRS races , divisional points with Nitro cars. A time were a family on middle class budget or a couple friends could put a Nitro car together run locally and maybe a match race. Not a top hitter but some good respectable fun.
A time were you saw a car in the ND and maybe it would be in your area at some point. It use to be neat to see a car that debuted with some new paint scheme or combo but sometimes when you saw it ,it was patched and burnt from some other race up to that point.
 I loved all facets of drag racing but near and dear to my heart was Funny Cars.
Along with that I watched all the drivers and teams with great interest. So much personality and colorful people. Everybody was dirty and amenities were scarce (well except for a few) . Like anyone though I had a few persona that caught my attention and one of those was “Wild” Wilfred Boulitier. He just seemed as he put a nice car together. Crafty low buck team. 
 Matt on here and I have been friends since grade school. While sitting at Matts house drinking mother fletchers super juice, listening to Alice Cooper and Deep Purple etc. Reading the ND to get the latest as we were heading to Reading (1975) in a few weeks we noticed in the black and white photo section a New Mustang II FC that looked really cool. It was a Cox lay down car and had the Body hung just perfectly.
Low and behold the car was at Reading and it was Wild Wilfred. Coming up on car it was like that Aaaaaaa moment when the rays of light poured down from heaven. Sitting there with its homemade window louvers and this neat “T” windshield that obviously gave you visibility. Well to this day we always talk that if we built a car that would be the model.
 Now back to the purchased part. So a few years ago read that a guy named Wilfred Boutilier started WW engineering and was making top notch Rocker systems. Had to be same guy right? Doing a little searching seen that yup it was. At time was doing a different engine and didn't need rockers. Buuuut with the change 2 years ago and started doing up the 385 series Ford that changed everything.
 The moment came last week that I called WW Engineering. Would he answer? Could I keep on task and not sound like an idiot? Would he be snooty? ( I'm a princess and wound easy) etc??
Well that all disappeared in the first 5 seconds of the call. Actually I called and left a message at first. He called me back. In those first moments I could just tell right away was talking to a caring and knowledgeable guy. He just went on without question on geometry, what to watch, what he had done with Trick Flow etc.. No pressure. Wanted to know what else I was looking at, my combo etc.. A deal was struck .
 Now while we are finishing up semantics I brought up the above story. Dang you would have thought we were friends from way back. He just opened up I couldn't believe it.  Wish so bad that Matt was on phone and I would have recorded the conversation. I literally felt like I was standing on that dusty path looking at the grass that car was on from those many years ago. He went on about all kinds of back stories with other cars and races, how he met his wife and subsequent move.
It was a real trip for me. There is just no way I have the mental competence to repeat all that was talked about with any sensibility .But will compactly recall this little bit. The Mustang II in speak here. NHRA gave him a ton of issue running the car (windshield) at Winternats debut and basically told him he couldn't pass tech. Which eventually they let him race that one time.He had many calls and threats to NHRA about how car made the rules. They finally gave in and said he could run car the season but would be rewriting the rules for next season. He did indeed do the windshield like it was for visibility. They also had scored the material along windshield line so that it would act as an escape hatch. Again compacting story.
At seasons end. He had Rusty Greer (remember that name) rework the body to meet what he was told and he hated it. To him the car was all wrong now , ugly and actually lost some MPH. Upon returning next season with car to make matters worse. They never modified rules as they said they would.
He decided to cut up body and throw away. SAD.

I opened the rockers up today and did some rough check outs. Everything looks good so far.  One nice thing (in my mind) is that these have a one pc stand for the intakes and individual exhaust stands which locate and square to location by running up against the intake stand.

Some photos attached. I will dig out one of the photos I have of the FC when get a chance for you to see.

On that note The Prisoner team wishes you all a great new year. Health and low ET’s your way.
Remember those who have passed and press on in there honor.

BCNU
Luke

:)

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2017, 08:48:27 PM »
Wow
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2017, 05:18:56 AM »
Lots of eye candy there Luke! Nice pieces. Great story too. I remember the WW funny car. It was a BB/FC running in the old pro comp class if I remember correctly. Used to be my favorite class with the likes of Veney, Armstrong, Hall, Anderson, Williams ... Carry on!

Offline LZ

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2017, 08:06:34 AM »
Happy Spring everyone, well except you Southern Hemisphere friends. ;)
Yup still here plugging away as possible.
The oil pumps here and the lifters should be here in a few days. Oh Lordy those were an extreme hit to the budget for those little guys.
Am on our last big push for work the next few months so time will be at a premium.
Funny reading a thread on here about cost to run. Myself I don't think about it. Just try to set a budget and work on it. If you added up how much money, time, friends-family support to do this..........well lets not ;) ;) :o Its all about the fun.
Cant wait to let this thing eat.
Hope for a great season  for everyone. Will update work on the Prisoner as possible.
BCNU
Luke