Author Topic: March Meet and Weather  (Read 10701 times)

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
March Meet and Weather
« on: January 17, 2015, 12:54:06 AM »
Wife and I are considering going to the March Meet this year. I'm looking for some insite into what the weather tends to be like at that time of year. Also maybe where to or not to stay.

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
Re: March Meet and Weather
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 05:17:45 AM »
I am also considering going to the March meet. I have been offered a ride from Central Illinois to Denver where we will meet up with a small group and then continue on to the racetrack. I have never been West of Denver. The 2000 mile road trip should be interesting. Also how would it compare to the HHRR at Bowling Green KY? Thanks. George

Offline LZ

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: In progress
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2010 225" S&W
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 08:22:21 AM »
Wife and I are considering going to the March Meet this year. I'm looking for some insite into what the weather tends to be like at that time of year. Also maybe where to or not to stay.

Brian : When I lived out there had the blessing to be able to head up there twice.  Cant speak to where to bed down as did not stay overnight there but can speak for the weather. In March its usually great by our standards of March but there is the possibility of it being a bit cool . Just have to plan the layer thing to be safe.
If you head out there and want to catch some scenery give me a call. There is lots to see within a couple hour drive. I like the natural beauty stuff being a princess and all. Lots of places to day hike. Historical. Love it there. If you wanted to drive a little further the possibilities are endless. We could sit down , just need to get my maps and notes out. Let me know.
c ya
LZ
"I am not a number.... I am a free man."

Offline hotrodpete

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.8@138
  • Your Engine: Early hemi
  • Your Track: St Thomas
  • Your Vehicle: Rooman Fiat altered
  • General Location: Orillia, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 09:51:50 AM »
I have booked rooms for my wife and myself again this year. We stay at a Best Western usually, and most are great. California Street has a lot of hotels, a friend always stays there . lots of restaurants nearby and he usually has no reservations.
 The weather has only been bad once,rained out a few years back.  the track has NO shade to speak of. some for the car show behind the stands but the trees are to short to help spectators. I usually wear shorts because to anyone from the east it is great weather.
 I would say the fall hot rod reunion is more like Bowling Green. March Meet seems more like a race. maybe teams have new parts and enthusiasm?  A lot less nostalgic but still a great place to meet people I only read about as a kid. 
 The swap meets usually great. Last fall there were at least 3 Donovans and a ton of other stuff for sale. Bring cash because what you want will likely be there.

One more thing, the track is north of Bakersfield about 20 miles or so . A car is

Offline hotrodpete

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.8@138
  • Your Engine: Early hemi
  • Your Track: St Thomas
  • Your Vehicle: Rooman Fiat altered
  • General Location: Orillia, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 10:03:13 AM »
OOPS. A car is a must.
 I would like to meet up with any other forum users while there.    Thanks 

Offline Pipe Dreams

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.09@165
  • Your Engine: 416 small block MOPAR
  • Your Track: Milan,Mi or Norwalk,Oh
  • Your Vehicle: 170" woody gilmore fed
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 01:40:26 AM »
   Made the pilgramage to the march meet fot the first time last year and had a blast. First thing I would suggest is booking a room early. I decideed to go again this yr. And already have my room reserved...FYI... the Best Western in Wasco, 6 miles from the track if I remmember correctly.  They are only letting you reserve the room if you book it for the entire weekend including Friday.
   As far as weather goes, you might need a light jacket or sweat shirt if it is cloudy and the wind is blowing. When I was there last yr a hat,sunglasses and sunscreen where a must.

P.S. if you need the # for the Best Western it is (661)758-1111

Offline Nightmare AA/FA

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Bakersfield, CA
  • Your Vehicle: 1934 Ford AA/FA
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 09:02:28 PM »
Make the trip! Breakfast at Milt's, racing all day then drinks and steaks at KC's in the evening.  Top Fuel dragsters, Funny Cars, and Fuel Altereds all on the Holy grounds of Famoso. 

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 07:25:42 AM »
I should know this weekend if the plans have come together.  :) Did not.  :'(
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:53:58 PM by George »

Offline BK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »
Well we didn't make it to the March Meet. But I hope the weather is great for everyone that did.
I checked the Bang Shift website and didn't see where they were doing live coverage. Are they not doing video this year or did I just not look in the right place?

dreracecar

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 07:57:16 AM »
BS had a couple of hurdles to complete, but that is all finnished and will be there streaming

Offline BK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 01:26:18 PM »
That's great news Thanks

Offline 32bantam

• View Profile
    • SS3 Race Team
  • Your Best Time: 6.87 at BG 2013 aiming for 7.0
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: 32 Bantam altered
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 07:38:06 PM »
SS3 race team is here (home base Rochester NY) !!! Car is ready to go !!!   end of row 21 (near tech)
Stop in and say HI...
Steve Walczak