Author Topic: Pinion height.  (Read 16672 times)

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
Re: Pinion height.
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 10:04:42 AM »
Pictures, I hope!

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 04:22:53 PM »
That looks like it would be uncomfortable on the legs.

Offline Mr Froggy

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 12.23 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Thunder Valley
  • Your Vehicle: 68 Dodge Coronet 500
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 07:31:14 PM »
Uncomfortable but Stout.

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 10:11:58 PM »
Thought I’d throw in one more option for a raised pinion position. Winters make a non-quick change that mounts the pinion centerline directly in line with the ring gear centerline. Whole thing is like ‘32-’48 Ford rear with a center banjo and side bells. My dragster has one of these units in it and it appears to have worked for the last 10 years in a junior fuel car. With its spiral bevel ring and pinion, it's more efficient, uses less power to operate, and runs cooler compared to a typical hypoid rear-end. The centerline of a 12 bolt is 1 ½” lower and the centerline of a 9” is 2 Ό” lower than the non-quick change. Down side, it’s more time consuming to change the gear ratio. You must split apart the rear-end to make a gear change. Went 7.40s @ 180mph on the left coast, first race out for me last October ran 8.40s @162 with a mild tune-up. Have pictures but are to large to post here, sorry.

Had a look at the winters web site and saw them . Super nice looking in a slingshot. They seem to have a 10" or 8 1/8" crown wheel aand 31s spline axles wonder what they cost?? Hmm but by far the best option I've seen otherwise.