Author Topic: DRAGSTER LENGTH  (Read 13038 times)

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
DRAGSTER LENGTH
« on: January 08, 2015, 12:39:53 PM »
Quite a few people have been telling me if I want to run a 7.60/NE1 dragster, I should build one 225" long. What is everyone else running? I have been thinking I would like to build a 200". What are the pros and cons? I have room for a 225" where it would be kept but I do see a lot of shorter ones out there. Is 225" really going to make that much difference?
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline H.G. Wells

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Mild 383 SBC or 498 blown BBC
  • Your Track: Currently San Antonio, past Amarillo, Ardmore OK, Noble OK
  • Your Vehicle: late 60's FED of unknown origin
Re: DRAGSTER LENGTH
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 02:02:45 PM »
Hopefully folks with more experience will chime in, but there are a bunch of 200" or less cars running mid 7's.
Mine is at 196 and my next one will be 196-200, mainly due to trailer configuration.
Would the 225" car be more stable? perhaps. Longer is better but I suspect there is some point of diminishing returns.
lots of short 150 cars out there that go straight, but are a handful when they get out of shape.
Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 03:09:57 PM »
Wheelbase is a state of mind and its a load of crap when some "wanker" says that short wheelbase cars are squirlly or dont handle. I have wingless 105" fuel altereds running straight, my car runs 7.0Pro and is only 193" The lenght was determind by buying 2 lenghts of tubing for the front and cutting them in half for the 4 rails and where they came together THAT determind my wheelbase. Run away from anybody that tells you different, Their opinion means nothing.
General rule is the shorter the wheelbase- the wider the front axle.

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.65 @ 175mph - 1/4
  • Your Engine: 560 BBC
  • Your Track: Sacramento
  • Your Vehicle: 185" FED
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 03:17:25 PM »
Is there some kind of formula for front axle width to chassis length and does the type of front axle matter on how wide the axle will be?  I have a 185" with a fairly narrow front axle (in comparison to some) but mine is solid mounted with steering rack and have never had any issues, but my car only goes 175ish.

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 03:47:29 PM »
Early 135" jr Fuelers ran as wide 48"
What one has to look at is when the back end wants to come around and pivots around the front axle. The wider the axle the more angle the car can acheive before it tips over because the axle acts as an outriger.The longer car can get away with a narrower axle because of its wheelbase and the sensation of coming around is slower which give more time to react to it- the downside is that the longer wheel base chassie is more flexable and needs greater steering input at that point and that when it tends to oversteer when things start to catch up- and zap , you are going in the other direction.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 05:54:15 PM »
My car is 200" best pass 6.54 @213

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 06:51:33 AM »
Wheelbase is kind of a "state of mind" thing. Lots of folks run numbers that others say you can't do with a shorter car. All it really proves is that people don't pay as much attention as they think. If you're building a car, talk to as many people who run the class or classes that you plan to run as possible. Ask them their wheelbase and what their best run is. Watch them run and how they operate. Some ill handling cars are the result of the way they're operated or worked on. Some people just want a long wheelbase so they can say they've got it and that they're just like the big boys.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 01:41:31 PM »
I would vote for a 200 inch car ! If you are making enough power to go 7.60's a longer car will be much better for you . Just my 2 cents !Bill

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 04:15:27 PM »
Back in the day cars got longer to try and reduce wheelstands. I just front halved a car was 185" I've gone back to 155" because it's an easier size to live with at home and it's a way better visual than the long wheel base cars. I ran 160" half a life time back.
Cheers

Offline tinbanger

• View Profile
    • William
  • Your Best Time: 7.85
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley
  • Your Vehicle: 225" Spitzer FED
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 07:05:21 PM »
I have run 180 car that was a hand full at 10.50s back in the day. Then drove a 185 car that ran 8.90  ran like a dream . My last fed was 225 running 7.70s. All I can say is the 225 was very easy to tune, really smooth and kept the nose down. My new car is 225 I think it should run 7.50s bracket racing with my combo and having as much fun as I can have with my pants on. I believe it is not how long the car is but what you want to do with it and how much effort you put  into making your combination work. Just my opinion.

Offline im6under

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.00 219 1/4 ages ago in a 219 mark williams red
  • Your Engine: 468 bbc
  • Your Track: None
  • Your Vehicle: None
  • General Location: Midwest
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 01:21:08 PM »
Yes old post, but very interesting to me and i do have an opinion... :P

Your short wheel base absolutely runs as straight as a long wheelbase. Thats until it doesnt.

All things equal, the longer car has an advantage in staying straight and in recovering when that is even possible.

All spinouts are different but consider this with me for a math moment.

If a short car and a long car both kick out 2 feet at the back, that maybe 5 degrees on the short car but only 3 degrees on the longer car.

Longer car would be easier to control and recover from this perspective.

Equally its moment of inertia in the yaw rate would be less.

Thats from the perspective of how much the rear end snapped out.

Now if both cars rotated 45 degrees (a ridiculous amount), i cant really say either would be recoverable... maybe, maybe not. Though i am positive i'd rather that extra 2 feet of crumple to bleed off energy.  :o

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 09:42:45 AM »
Yopu know what she said? Longer is better.That said my 225" with 30" overhang is corner to corner in my shop. Been told should have build shorter car,I reply should have built bigger garage,but in my defence I did build house as spec house to sell and ended up moving into it.
 Seriously only advantage to shorter is easier to move around,load and unload.IMO
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 05:24:06 AM »
200 inch still fits in a std 24 ft trailer
My 200 inch is very easy to drive and get back if out of shape because of slick track etc
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 05:43:29 AM »
225 will fit 24' trailer with .25' to spare.LOL thats allowing for 30 nose and same behind rear axle centerline.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline xlr8

• View Profile
    • JEFF CHANDLER MATCO TOOLS
  • Your Best Time: 7.99 1/4 mile 166 mph
  • Your Engine: Pontiac Alcohol 428
  • Your Track: BARONA
  • Your Vehicle: 190" FED
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 12:56:22 PM »
My 190" FED fits in a 24' V-nose trailer with the chute backed in to the V. The golf cart fits in also!  8)
Jeff Chandler - Matco Tools
619-991-7845
xlr8jsc@cox.net