Author Topic: 9 inch center section?  (Read 6979 times)

Offline spookie

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.92 1/4 5.59 1/8
  • Your Track: Quarter Aces drag-o-way
  • Your Vehicle: F.E.D.
9 inch center section?
« on: January 02, 2015, 02:50:37 PM »
Installing new Strange aluminum center section.What is the best way to seal it to housing? How tight should nuts be to housing? Thanks for any help. Happy new year,lets RACE. :P

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.65 @ 175mph - 1/4
  • Your Engine: 560 BBC
  • Your Track: Sacramento
  • Your Vehicle: 185" FED
Re: 9 inch center section?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 06:50:55 AM »
Which model did you end up getting?  I will be buying a new 3rd member and axles soon and strange has a few choices.

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 08:07:42 AM »
If you buy from Strange, make sure you get them to fit the axles into the spool before shipment--Thats all.

I have seen both gaskets and sealer used when installing the center section and have different theorys.
Sealer if you dont plan to take it out often and are meticulou when you do to make sure all the sealer is removed. Also dont be a pig about it and use half a cartrage of sealer on it.
Gaskets are good and some even come with a sealing stripe to make them even better, a little gaska-sinch and you are good to go.
Running a gasket moves the center section forward and that in-turn makes the tires toe-out ever so slightly, but since the tires toe-in during excelleration it evens things up.
Before installing the center section-- looking at the housing from the front - The 2 studs to the right of the top bolt should be replaced with bolts( requires an insert to be installed) or at minimum trimmed down to the top of the nut. They have a nasty habit of digging into your calf/drivers suit and if you wear boots, get caught climbing out
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 08:24:36 AM by dreracecar »

Offline spookie

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.92 1/4 5.59 1/8
  • Your Track: Quarter Aces drag-o-way
  • Your Vehicle: F.E.D.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 11:14:45 AM »
I orded Strange #PRF160 with spool 31 spline axle. Old factory unit after 13 years cracked at inside pinion bearing. With 1.24 60fts 5.60s 1/8mi.Ithink this should hold up

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.65 @ 175mph - 1/4
  • Your Engine: 560 BBC
  • Your Track: Sacramento
  • Your Vehicle: 185" FED
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 12:06:39 PM »
Spookie I just pulled all the splines out of my 31 spline aluminum spool and while out found the pinion area had a huge crack.  Not sure how much power you are putting down but everyone is suggesting a 33 or 35 spline.  I am going to go with a lightweight steel spool this time.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 01:01:00 PM »
If you use the Strange Alluminum carrier with 3/8 bolts make sure your bolts or studs are long enough to go all the way in . When  you use things like a pinion support or coupler cover bolted to the pinion support you need a longer bolt or stud . I found this out the hard way and toe the pinion support right out of mine ! It was a stupid mistake to make and I thought I would pass this along .As far as the gasket try your center section with and without the gasket and see how your axles go in . On my housing my axles bind a little with a gasket and not at all without so I just use silicone on mine but it is something you should check .