Author Topic: keeping batt charged in trailer  (Read 4857 times)

Offline hotrodharley

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: 540 BBC/12-71 BLOWER/26%OD/PG TRANS/4;10 GEARS
  • Your Track: GOODTIMES DRAG STRIP
  • Your Vehicle: FUEL ALTERED
keeping batt charged in trailer
« on: December 29, 2014, 09:17:18 AM »
what are you doing to keep your batt in car trailer charged up;;I have one batt I use for wrench that I have to raise and lower my ramp door;;;2nd batt is used to operate wrench to pull car in and out of trailer;;also operates my hyd jack that raises trailer to hook and unhook trailer from truck and used to start generator;;][ohman 4000 gen set]seems like every time I turn around I need to drag battery charger into trailer and charge batterys;;was thinking mounting 2 solor panels on top of trailer and hook up to batterys permety to charge batterys and maintain them so girlfriend got my 2 Schumacher SP-400'S;;IN INSTALL BOOK SAYS THAT ONLY MAINTAIN BATTERY AND WON'T CHARGE THEM AND CAN'T BE MOUNTED OUTSIDE[not water proof]
 So what are everyone doing to solve this batt dead issue?is there a affordable solor panel that I can mount on top of trailer permently and leave hooked to batt 24-7 that will keep batt at full charge and recharge them back to full charge after I use them and they start getting weak?
"DARK SIDE" AA/fuel altered
"BADTOYZZ RACING
SPRING CREEK NV

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: keeping batt charged in trailer
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 10:01:08 AM »
I have a trickle charger connected to mine and when ever the generator is running or hooked to 110 the battery get charged, has worked well for me
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline LZ

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: In progress
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2010 225" S&W
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
what are you doing to keep your batt in car trailer charged up;;I have one batt I use for wrench that I have to raise and lower my ramp door;;;2nd batt is used to operate wrench to pull car in and out of trailer;;also operates my hyd jack that raises trailer to hook and unhook trailer from truck and used to start generator;;][ohman 4000 gen set]seems like every time I turn around I need to drag battery charger into trailer and charge batterys;;was thinking mounting 2 solor panels on top of trailer and hook up to batterys permety to charge batterys and maintain them so girlfriend got my 2 Schumacher SP-400'S;;IN INSTALL BOOK SAYS THAT ONLY MAINTAIN BATTERY AND WON'T CHARGE THEM AND CAN'T BE MOUNTED OUTSIDE[not water proof]
 So what are everyone doing to solve this batt dead issue?is there a affordable solor panel that I can mount on top of trailer permently and leave hooked to batt 24-7 that will keep batt at full charge and recharge them back to full charge after I use them and they start getting weak?
HotRod how are you charging the batts now?
These batteries get really abused with the sporadic use and the big charge - discharge swings.
I cant be of much help with the solar have heard RV'rs praise and MF them. Up here in the NE we do not get the Sun you get.
Have always had bank chargers on whatever had batteries with inconsistent use. That way just plug it in when home and or once in awhile and it gives the battery love. A good one will adjust for charging to maintaining.
IE      http://www.geniuschargers.com/GEN2
You shouldn't that have pain in the neck your dealing with.
More important things to do right??!! ;D
Happy new year bud
Luke
"I am not a number.... I am a free man."

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 03:11:32 PM »
I disconnect them from any devices. Make sure there in a dry location. Fully charge them and they sit like that for months. I might recharge them once during the winter.