Author Topic: Aluminum Drums  (Read 5268 times)

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
Aluminum Drums
« on: December 21, 2014, 09:14:16 AM »
I talked to several mfgs about the Glide aluminum drum, and got the same answer from all. A true all aluminum drum is only good for about 60 passes, the band just wears the drum and no coating has solved the problem. The wear results in band adjustments every 10 runs. This is a lot of cost and hassle for the weight savings. Talking to Art Reed at Coan they offer a modular (hybrid) drum, its aluminum with a steel sleeve pressed on giving it the durability of any steel drum with most of the weight savings of  a true aluminum drum. This drum can be serviced also, if for some reason the band surface gets damaged the drum can be sent in and re-sleeved. Of the 3 light weight options, a lightened steel drum, the hybrid drum, and the aluminum drum, the hybrid from Coan seems to the best bang for the buck.

Hope this helps in your choice of drums.

Thanks for reading,
Dan 

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
Re: Aluminum Drums
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 01:46:18 PM »
Dan thanks for the info I might look into the Coan drum for mine !

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 04:40:22 PM »
Be sure to ask for Art Reed and tell him I sent you.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 05:30:43 AM »
Looking at getting aluminum drum for my car also.Trying to talk myself out of spending that much for few pounds savings.it being rotatiing weight make it hard not to do. I have pretty much came to same conclusion about steel insert being best deal. Been checking with cpl different builders and all say same thing.
  I doubt there is a lot of et gain but it does all add up in the long run. If your like Bill running sbc in a pool of 600 plus BBC sharks that are snorting nitrous by the bottle you need everything you can get.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 07:22:17 AM »
I have to up grade my stuff . I still run a stock pump and drum so I thought that I would go with the light weight stuff . When you think about it that drum has to go from not turning at all to what ever your fall back rpm is . In my case that's 8200 rpm and that is asking a lot from a stock drum !