Technical > Dan Dishon's Transmission Den

What does a Glide need for My Level?

(1/5) > >>

dusterdave173:
Like it says
I have a Powerglide in the car now--bought used --freshed it up--had aftermarket input, deep pan, billet servo, trans brake, and steel clutch hub--thats about it
I do not use the brake--I have always foot brake raced and enjoy that--I am club racing only so just for show--not ever planning to bracket race so a manual valve body will be fine.
I am gathering items to build a spare Powerglide--scored a nice stock case that had bell cut, an Ultrabell that I can get re-certed if need be, a good used trans brake valve body with solonoid, another deep pan, and a nice TSI rebuilt stock style pump--all at the swap this wk end for dirt cheap--folks wanting Christmas cash so..............
I am small block Chevy, Hilborn, alky between 500-600 HP maybe a tad more later
What parts do I HAVE to have for a safe dependable Glide
I plan on doing the build myself--I am engine builder by trade so ...
Can I buy the JW book off Ebay and know what I need to know??
I have been watching videos on Youtube etc
Do I need regular band, Kevlar? etc
Write me a recipie for what I need to do this please
I have an aftermarket tailhousing in car now with roller bearing--is one with bushing OK too?
Do I need a roller bearing on pump etc???

Is it OK to just use the brake valve body while not actually using the trans brake? I just plugged the hole in back of the case on one I have now since solonoid was too close to poorly planned crossmember

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bikeguy307:
Starting at the front working back.
If your input shaft is a turbo spline you will need a bushing in the stator support of the pump.
Sounds like you have a good pump.
6 clutches in high gear would be good 7 would be better. I use Alto Red Eagles, and kolene steels. with the thin clutches you can get 7 in the drum without machining the piston.
A dual ring servo is great low cost upgrade. And Kevlar or Red Line band is a good choice.
A 1.76 planetary will be fine for your combination seeing as you are foot breaking.
on the extension housing you will need to stay with the after market one as the yoke used with a bearing is different than one used with a bushing.
You can put a modulator plug in place of the solenoid and run it with out problem, it simply holds the brake valve in the release position.
The book from JW is a very good book with lots of good info and instruction for your project.

Good luck with your project and if you have any questions I will do my best to help you with answers.

Dan Dishon

dusterdave173:
Thanks!! So...there are "thin" clutches available I can order ? I don't want to cut drum etc --hoped to use stock unit
I had ordered a tailshaft for my other trans in the car because I converted it back to stock output from a shorty so I got one with roller--I did order a MW coupler vs. a Strange etc because MW said it was hardened for use with roller bearing--think it was stock Glide size IIRC 
I took a Turbo shaft OUT of the trans and put in a PG spline unit as I had a good 8 inch converter with PG splines--just yanked it out slapped a couple of teflon rings on the Glide shaft and popped it right back in.
Tell me more about need a bushing / don't need one in the pump etc
School me on that deal   
I have the Turbo shaft available but not a Turbo converter at the momnent-planned on buying new turbo splined converter when I get a new one--Just wanted to run what I had a bit so I could tell converter guys what the heck I was looking for
Can I swap shafts back and forth if I have a bushing--
wondering if I have screwed up on the one in car now
Heck it runs fine! Drips just a little figured it was from bell housing bolts though I RTV'd the heck out of them behind the heads and washers
Thanks for your time man!!!!

dusterdave173:
make that Tailshaft HOUSING extension with a roller --used stock 1.76 on output etc

Paul New:
I have not had a powerglide trans brake since the 90's that did not require the solenoid to be depressed to back up so verify this prior to plugging the whole. Everything else sounds good you will not need any exotic parts and yes stock 1.76 planetary will hold up we ran one in our back up trans 6.70's 206mph

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version