Author Topic: PRI  (Read 14147 times)

dreracecar

Re: PRI
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 08:39:12 AM »
Most shops build tri-pod front ends. you stick the spindles in a fixture on the jig and you fit the tubes to the spindle boss , so whatever degree the kingpin is does not have an effect on the build. I stick the bent front axle tube on the mill and tilt the head and bore the tube to press in the bosses, tack them in place and cut the excess off to finnish welding. Now before I can build an axle for someone , I need to ask what/whose spindles are you going to use.

36" wide  2" offset  5" drop  SPE spindles @8*

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 09:26:51 AM »
Most shops build tri-pod front ends. you stick the spindles in a fixture on the jig and you fit the tubes to the spindle boss , so whatever degree the kingpin is does not have an effect on the build. I stick the bent front axle tube on the mill and tilt the head and bore the tube to press in the bosses, tack them in place and cut the excess off to finnish welding. Now before I can build an axle for someone , I need to ask what/whose spindles are you going to use.

36" wide  2" offset  5" drop  SPE spindles @8*

Nice setup Bruce. Now I know where to go if need one.

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 10:37:23 AM »
The 3 sets of Strange spindles I have in stock all measure 8 degree's. Kind of unfair to say how most guys build axles, unless you've worked in most guys shops.

dreracecar

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 11:39:45 AM »
If you have 20+ shops building S/C dragsters and 3 or 4 building tube axles for Nos cars, that would qualify as most.
 Again back to my earlier post, I have at my shop P&S, SPE, M/W, OEM Anglia and Strange spindles, using the same fixture and same digital angle finder to measure within the same 15 minute time period and the Strange is the only one that is different by 1*. I install a new set of Strange spindles on a fixtured  axle and get Negitive camber, swap out with a set of SPE's and I get .5 deg positive camber(how I designed it).
 The Strange spindles are nice parts and will use them upon request, I just have to know about it first. The other thing that bugs me about them is that they turn down the OD of the spindle boss to an abscure dimention and cannot use my hole saw to get a nice fit, probably have to get one custom ground just for those.