Author Topic: Flexplate and torque converter  (Read 11312 times)

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 - 9.08
  • Your Track: Gardermoen Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 180" FED
Flexplate and torque converter
« on: December 06, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »
What to look for? What brand, and what combo?
Powerglide trans, SBC  i guess around 600-650hp based on what it have run before.

dreracecar

Re: Flexplate and torque converter
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 01:56:32 PM »
Whatever you do make sure you go with the "Turbo input shaft and matching converter"
as far as the other stuff, find out who does the majority of work for the local racers, I could recomend my guy, but shipping puts a sting on the wallet.

Offline Frontenginedragsters

• View Profile
    • Pro-Formance Specialties
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 02:09:09 PM »
Very wide question but stick with an established company like ATI.
There is many more but ATI manufactures many parts and sells to other companies.
Much more info needs to be put out for a good guess.
I''m not the convertor expert here but 5000 stall is a very generic starting point.
Matt
Driving a Front Engine Dragster builds character and keeps you awake for a 1/4 mile at a time.
http://www.pro-formancespecialties.com/

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 02:52:18 PM »
I raced a door car for 25 years and all that converter experience went out the window with mynew FED--These dragsters need a very different converter than most drag cars--I bought a 6000 8 inch because I got it dirst cheap --just knew it would be too loose in my SBC 350 CI, 4.22 gear, 33 tall tire
Man I was wrong it is perfect!! Loose is good in a dragster
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 08:18:51 PM »
This might be a good question over in Dan Dishon's Transmission Den http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php?board=36.0
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 05:13:28 PM »
Any good SFI flex plate will be satisfactory, making sure you go with the proper balance for your motor. As far as stall speed goes, the rule of thumb is 1000 to 1500 rpms under your shift point. The heavier your car the lower your stall. If your 3000lbs you will want to be around the 1500 rpm below your shift, if your 2000lbs you could be around 1200 rpm below shift

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 11:09:50 PM »
Wild guess, but i think the car with me in it will be around 1700 lbs.
Trans is a shorty PG. Engine SBC with hilborn on alky. 4.10 gear, 33" tires. I`ve been told an 8" 4500 should be good.
Can someone tell me how i choose the correct/matching flexplate and converter brand/partsnumbers...there is so much to choose from  :-[
I think i just have to start somewhere and work my way from there. First year will be "test-n-tune".

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 11:38:13 PM by gasserx »

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 06:28:53 AM »
I have had great luck with continental torque convertors. We just changed out a custom built spec rite convertor for a custom built continental and the FED picked up .3 in ET and .1 in 60'. Both convertors were built for the FED. It is a 560ci BBC. Convertor stalls to 6000 now and we shift it at 7500. I agree with duster Dave on looser is better to some degree, wheel speed is a good thing.
http://www.ctconverters.com/
Cheaper is not better in the convertor world.
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 04:01:41 PM »
 Yor going to pay over $800 for a new unit--Buy a used 8 inch from a trusted source for $350 range and go with it for a while--any chevy SFI flexplate for internal--I am guessing your engine is internal balanced  163?? or whatever tooth not the 157 job--they are never more tha $69 here new--NO need to get a $250 "Wheel" from JW or a billet from CSR forget all that--Jegs / Summit etc never more than $70 for a quality SFI plate--they are all made in the same place no matter the brand--all overseas units rebranded and same unit sold from $59 to $119 SAME flexplate different name
For getting started just about any 8 inch will do fine--get some ARP converter bolts about $25  leave the washers off to help make up for motor plate spaced pads and keep rolling--your car will run within 3-4 tenths with the best converter and the wrongest 8 inch you can find--it will work--don't worry
We get good used 8 inch units all the time and use in our cars--it is great to have a custom built converter but to get started you don't need one yet--not until you can give the converter builder GOOD information--order one now? You will be guessing at so many things he needs to know--run a used 8 inch--then send it in and say--here is what is happening which way do we go?
Stay in touch and we will find you one that will work Keep that $$$ in your blue jeans
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 05:16:27 PM »
I have a Contential convertor we ran behind our 355 injected motor. Stalled 6200 with our deal. PG spline. Excellent condition.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 09:17:22 AM »
There you go Gasserx  that will work! And PG spline is not as weak as folks make out I have PG spline in mine never an issue with the power levels we are talking--yes if new go Turbo spline it is stronger but no big deal for our level IMO

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 11:24:24 AM »
There you go Gasserx  that will work! And PG spline is not as weak as folks make out I have PG spline in mine never an issue with the power levels we are talking--yes if new go Turbo spline it is stronger but no big deal for our level IMO
   I have gone 6.94 with a powerglide spline I have about 200 runs on mine .

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 04:13:41 AM »
George; how much you want for it?