Author Topic: Powerglide Pumps  (Read 8264 times)

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
Powerglide Pumps
« on: November 23, 2014, 07:14:45 AM »
Looking for some opinions on the alluminum powerglide pumps . I want to do some upgrades to my trans this winter . I have been using a stock pump and I think it's time for an upgrade . I also plan to go to an alluminum drum . Bill

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: Powerglide Pumps
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 12:25:54 PM »
Bill,

Can not say how good it is But I bought a ATI aluminum pump for my deal.  Had lots of good comments on their piece. Also lucked into a Coan max duty aluminum planetary with 1.69 I wanted. As for aluminum drum I wanted to do it also,cash not here. Also had mixed  opions from quite a few. Greg at FTI did say it would work along as you use correct band with it. It is a big drop in rotating mass. Also Parks sales lots of lite wieght parts for glide,which you probably already know. I know he sales reverse pressure plate and aluminum high gear plates.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 01:13:36 PM »
My experience on aluminum drums is that they wear out--even if you use the correct band they wear pretty fast --like two seasons and it is amazing-what they come out looking like--maybe I ran wrong band material but...
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 01:33:37 PM »
A lot of the guys that I race with use those Kevlar bands which I am not too fond of . I have been using a red lined band on mine with the stock steel drum . My band is 9 years old and still looks like new . I need to get that stock drum out of mine and I am thinking why not alluminum ! Dave you might have a good point about wear .

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »
I personally run the TCS Products Aluminum Pump. Have ran it for years with no problems. As far as the aluminum drums go, they just do not have the life span to make them worth the cost in my budget racing opinion. With that said I have talked to Art @ Coan and they are working with new coatings and other things to make them better. One of my goals at the PRI Show is to quiz all the major after transmission parts makers on the progress of their drums. I will post all the info I can gather on this subject as soon as I can after the PRI Show.

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 01:56:34 PM »
Here is a link to the pump I run.   http://www.tcsproducts.com/products/product/297/

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 02:40:05 PM »
Thank's for the information . I was looking at their web site and they make some nice looking stuff . Do the alluminum drums wear from the band or where the seal rings ride ?

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 06:24:45 PM »
Mostly from the band. Teflon rings are a must with an aluminum drum. The thing I like about the TSC pump is all the passage ways between parts are o-ringed, this mean little to no cross feeding between circuits.