Author Topic: Just for fun little guy FED combos  (Read 51471 times)

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
Re: Just for fun little guy FED combos
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 01:49:25 AM »
if you want low buck fun, put a stick shift in a digger.  Wheels up every time, lots to do from the seat clutching and banging gears on the shift light.

Offline voxnut

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 11:44:46 PM »
Voxnut your car is a Beauty!! Is that a King Chassis?

Thanks! Yes, it's a King Chassis that I asked Brian to tweak some specs for me on. Looking forward to finishing it sooner than later. Your car looks like a ton of fun!

Dean

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 07:34:24 AM »
Your car has " The Look"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love it!!!
These things are the most fun you can have !!! No matter the speed they are Tons of Fun to drive!
The big thing that I found out is that you must have some crew every time you go to the track--I just never thought about that as I drove a door car for years--It is sort of a PIA--Folks all say they will go and WANT to go but when it comes down to loading up and taking off the numbers dwindle down and you are often left begging for help--Cultivate your help while you build the car! Buy a Big cooler for your rig.
The day you make that first pass is going to be one of the best days you will ever have--Keep working!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 07:18:43 PM »
Howdy
I'm putting a just for fun combo together to go racing on a couple of 1/8 mile tracks. I see guys here talking about 10,000 RPM small blocks using 7,000 RPM converters. Now that's way out of reach for a lot of us so lets talk about our home built low buck just for fun combo's.
I have a 150" chassis, 31x12 MT tyres, 4.3 gears, 904 TF trans with an 8" converter - no trans brake so about 3000 is about where I can hold it with my hand brake. Engine wise a 360 Chrysler with an old Racer Brown ST 21 cam, mechanical injection and a Vertex wil be getting the show on the road.  That's it no electronic driver stuff, no data loggers, no radiator, 4 feet of wire and nothing much else. I haven't run this down a track yet - waiting on some body work. I'm hoping for high 5's on the eighth. What are you little guys building and  racing?
Cheers
Tony

Now I've worked out how to post pic's - here's mine.

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, 07:45:15 PM »
This is a Mates car here in South Australia. It can trace it's heritage back to the mid 1960's. At different times it ran with a flathead V8,a six cylinder Jaguar and a 332 FE Ford big block. It had a new chassis through it some time in the 1970's using plans copied from a magazine and ran with a 289 and clutch-flight.  Now days it has a basically standard 302W with a solid camshaft and fuel injection. It has a C4 trans and a 1955 Ford Customline diff with 3.7 gears. Best to date leaving from idle is 6.1 one the eighth only using 1st and 2nd gears. It's been off the track for a little while but now that other distractions are out of the way (restoration of a Y block powered 1960's Fiat altered) it will be back freshened up and ready to rock and roll in the new year looking for a 5 second pass

Offline Supercat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.16 @ 218 1/4
  • Your Track: Bakersfield to Bowling Green to New England dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Buick powered/ 200" Fastech FED
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 05:47:26 PM »
If by little guy you mean on a tight budget.................. ;)
Our combo is
2007 Fastech 200" full body
Started with the injected 65 401 Buick Nailhead.
Current engine is a 462" Buick iron block.
4 Port Hilborn Alky injected.
Super-mag 4.
Hosier 33x12x15
3.89 Ford 9"
P/G with brake 4400 rpm stall leave at 4000

Best run was a 1.10 60'  , 4.95 @ 144 1/8th , 7.82 @176.9  (trans eating itself up on the pass)
The day we ran the pass was a balmy 49-53 degrees. We had a difficult time trying to get the engine temp up above 160.
Trans is repaired and the converter damage is yet to be determined. Hope to know soon, though....

Good thread look forward to seeing more builds.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 05:59:52 AM »
What it this budget thing you speak of. Is that where you have acertain amount of money and not just hope for cpl bucks on side so you can buy a new part? If so I got to get me one of those. Right now I got to get me torque converter , driveshaft, Heads finished and a starter mounted. Getting closer anyway.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 12:04:57 AM »
Great to see some different combo's - SBC seems to dominate as the power plant of choice but that comes as no surprise. Interesting to see the Cadillac and the Buick powered cars. Speaking of the Buick - Supercat with the 3.89 gears and tall tyres what sort of finish line RPM does the car see on the 1/8th and on a full track.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 12:48:30 PM »
I Love Retroboys Mopar! I drag raced Mopars for over 25 years--LOVE them but..when I got my FED chassis it was set up for the SBC so I did not fight it--I gave in--Have to say the "Mopar Tax" I had been paying all those years adds up--It has been such a JOY to buy quality SBC parts for a Fraction of what same Mopar part would be--I Love my Chevy but will have a Hemi in a FED before I quit ---NO doubt!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline Pipe Dreams

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.09@165
  • Your Engine: 416 small block MOPAR
  • Your Track: Milan,Mi or Norwalk,Oh
  • Your Vehicle: 170" woody gilmore fed
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »
Mopar Tax...... tell me about it. Man, if i could only get a tax break and be able to fit a big block mopar in the frame. You chevy guy's have it made. I do get a certain satisfaction from putting a big block chevy RED on the trailer with my small block mopar though.
Got the motor out right now to freshen for next yr. Changing cams and getting the heads cnc ported. Looking to see if we can step-up and run with Glenn in the 8.0 class next yr.
Here' what she is right now.
She's  a 1970 170" Woody
415 SBM 12.8/1cr with Indy 360-1 heads
Enderle two holer injected on alky
Glide w/ 8 3/4   4.30 gears
Had been running 33x12 M&H now on 31x10.5 Hoosiers.
Best so far 8.41@159
5.30 @129   1/8
1.15 sixty foot leaving at 2,200
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:12:19 PM by Pipe Dreams »

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 02:56:23 PM »
Nice car Pipe!

Offline Pipe Dreams

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.09@165
  • Your Engine: 416 small block MOPAR
  • Your Track: Milan,Mi or Norwalk,Oh
  • Your Vehicle: 170" woody gilmore fed
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 03:54:49 PM »
Thank You, Sir. Watched the vid. Of you  On youtube and can only think of 2 words. HOLY CRAP!!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:58:24 PM by Pipe Dreams »

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 06:30:10 PM »
The Mopar tax - try living half way around the world, being outnumbered about 500 to 1, where you ring up about parts and the guy just isn't intetested when you say Chrysler. Thank goodness for the Internet and guys like Dave Hughes

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 09:15:33 AM »
Try Mopartsconnection.com   Marsh Performance my best pal Todd Marsh  we are master WD for everything Mopar and less $$ than others  Indy dealers etc anything you need!!! Tell Todd I sent ya!

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 01:35:56 PM »
Pipe Dreams, how much did your performance improve when you went from 33x12 MH to 31x10.5 Hoosier ? And what width rims are you using ? And Oh Ya what tire pressure is working best for you ?

Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels