Author Topic: Nut protection.  (Read 6205 times)

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
Nut protection.
« on: March 09, 2015, 04:11:21 AM »
I'm about to finish up fab on my digger and I'm still pondering whether to brace the axle case for an exploding ring gear.  My case is a Curries hot rod case, it must be 1/8in thick at least.  I'm running Pro Gears, Spool, iron case and 35 spline shafts and around 600bhp.  I know technically the chance of a ring gear exiting the case is minimal however, while I'm still doing the fab I was wondering whether to add something.  I'm thinking 1/4in steel strips welded on the inside of the case ? would welcome others thoughs ?

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: Nut protection.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 05:32:20 AM »
If I had to do it over I would skip this part to save the weight but...Being a rookie I too had same concerns--I cut the back off another 9 inch and welded it to mine making it a double wall--being a rookie I also put the oil fill in the wrong spot not knowing or thinking about the other side for ring gear inspection --oh well....
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 06:42:41 AM »
I don't install them unless a customer insists on it. The usual failure is the pinion support area of the case.  I've seen several cars strip teeth off the ring gear and never exit the housing. On a 600 horse FED with pro gears I wouldn't worry about it.

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:22:47 AM »
It was a common myth many many years ago, but have never heard of one comming out enough to hurt any thing. More prevelent with open (difs) of failure since these are stock low hp units with a lot of parts and gears involved, but with a spool the ONLY thing that will happen is that you will knock the teeth off.
The main point of injury in those times is when all that stock stuff broke at speed, it would lock the whole rear end and the rear axle housing would try and spin out of the chassie and that has nailed a few drivers, Hence we now are required to have 4 bolts per side on the rear housing to mount to frame and anti rotation plates or struts to keep that from happening.
To me the bigger issue is people trying to use the stock Ford case and pinion support instead of and aftermarket unit, they are readely available and the priceing has come was down. I would be more worried of the pinion being pushed out the front of the case then the gears comming out the back

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 09:33:16 AM »
thanks guys, I've run open diffs in a digger before and raced without a thought.  I decided early on not to bother as the case is a good 3mm thick, but I'm at the point of wrapping up the fab and welding and wondered if it was worth doing.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »
600 hp with pro gear I would never thank about it. Then I am married and those aren't much good anyway LMAO.  Agree that gears coming thru would be super rare if it ever happened.Most of those old horror stories where from rear mounts and no anti rotation device. Or so I hear not quite old enough to know first hand.
My housing is 3/19 face and .090  molly for the rest.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 02:19:36 PM »
x2 on the pinion support ! I broke a Strange housing with the 3/8 bolts pushed the pinion right out ! I went to 7/16 studs and have had no problems at all . Like Bruce said the open rear with spider gears is the one that will hurt you . Use a spool !

Offline Hotrod200

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Heathcote
  • Your Vehicle: Stampede altered
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 02:15:18 PM »
Not in a front engine but my street rod I pulled the pinion support with half the carrier straight out and folded the drive shaft in two! Big mess! It torn every gear off the crown apart from 3, not one part exited the rear of the 9 inch housing but it did put a couple dents in it but I think they only got there because loose parts got jammed.
I'm building a front engine now and I'm not bothering with anything extra.