Technical > Roo Man's Room

engine height

(1/3) > >>

wideopen231:
Wondering what most have for engine hieght. Chassis groung clearance would be nice also. I have mine set at 6.5" at rear axle,thats ground clearance. Enigne is  9" at front of crank and just under 9.75 at rear of engine ,this is from bottom rail. Thinking about changing rear to same as front. Front can only go down oil pump is almsot hitting frame now.  I have engine 50" out wanted 52 but when I first went to move out I had parts of frame already don that limited amount I could move it. Parks was very explicit about getting it out to 52".

rooman:
Frank likes them a long way out. His first junior fuel cars were 47" out and lately he has been doing the 50" plus deal. I have had success with my cars at 42" out with the motor level. I don't worry too much about crank centerline height apart from getting the rear end right relative to the tire diameter and getting the motor angle correct--usually level to half a degree down in my cars. A 9" rear end will put the motor lower than an 8 3/4" Chrysler or a GM 10 or 12 bolt as the pinion is lower relative to the axle centerline.

Roo

wideopen231:
 You mean you can actually runs something other than 9" ford rear end.. The 9'' and the 9  3/4 numbers are  actually 10" and 10 3/4" I forgot to add back for the 1" bar I had across jig while measuring. Pinion is 10 3/4".  Now you know why I make bad teacher,I talk  same way skip stages and figure they can figure out what I meant .Ground clearance is figured 4" at motor and 7" at rearend, 3 1/4" front end at nose.  The motor is set so oil pan is just barely above frame rails.

slingshot383:
8 3/4" Chrysler rearends were real popular, and they take less horsepower than a 9" Ford.

rooman:
With a big horsepower car the extra drag of the 9" is not a problem but a lot of the small engine comp elim cars run a 9" style housing with a 12 bolt gearset. Strange and Mark Williams both make the required pieces. The 8 3/4" is still good for lower horsepower applications but there is not the range of parts to toughen it up compared with the 9" and 12 bolt.

Roo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version