Author Topic: Car done truck died  (Read 7647 times)

Offline imcamod17

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Muncie Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 200" Hal Canode FED
Car done truck died
« on: October 18, 2014, 08:02:59 AM »
I have a 24' enclosed trailer with my fed in it and my truck is dying. Any suggestions on trucks new versus used or 1/2 ton versus 3/4 ton.  I don't want to spend a zillion dollars if I don't have to. Will the new 1/2 tons pull a 24' trailer good. I will be going 200+  miles sometimes.  Everthing I see is 40,000+. I bought my old truck new in 1996 for 19,000. Why are truck prices so rediculous now.  As long as it is made in the USA I would buy it.  Thanks 

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
Re: Car done truck died
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 08:30:50 AM »
Well this topic will be interesting  :D here was my thought process When I was is in the market last year I looked at gas diesel truck and suburbans.  By far a 3/4 ton is a must a 5.3 in our tahoe has plenty of power to pull my 26 ft enclosed. However the stability and braking is marginal.  So 3/4 at a minimum.

The power of a diesel is by far the best but given 4 trips and the initial cost and maintenance I am not impatient that every incline requires 80mph hold.  So back to gas.

In the GM world this leaves 2 choices 6.0 or 8.1.  I found the 8.1 sits right between the Xmas and 6.0 for power. Withth a cost advantage over the Dmax and power over the 6.0. Also found that the fuel mileage is better overall than the 6.0.

At the end of the day have by a family and a tag trailer pushed me to yukon xl 2500 with 8.1  i have the 4l80e but there was an Allison option.

Again this was my tbought process. I did like look at dodge and ford. A diesel excursion would have been great but wast able to locate one that fit the bill.
if you need to Hate target Laziness

Offline LaneM

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.68 1/4
  • Your Engine: BBC 548ci crowler injected alky
  • Your Track: RMR West Valley,Utah
  • Your Vehicle: front engine digger of course
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »
well here is my take..since I do not have a blossoming money tree in my back yard I have to decide where to spend the cash I do have..I have a 24' enclosed which I bought new last fall and of course the big money is in the fed inside. 4 or so years back I needed something to pull my trailer(at that time was running a 3400 pd 55 chevy on a flatbed)but wanted a place to get my spare parts,jacks,fuel,all the trimmings,and have it locked up..well if I got a truck I needed a shell..with a shell you have to empty the back out to get to the front..yuck..I was driving a van for work so I started looking at vans..didn't want to spend a lot of money cause the van is just a transport ride the money spent should be on the toys right..I found a 2001 ford(I am a chevy guy)that had the v8 trition it had a lot of miles but it was a heating/ac contractors so it not only have reg. maintance it also had all the shelving inside..perfect..got it for 1000 bucks..now my local track is only 20 miles away so it doesn't go far but in 4 years I have only put in another grand in it to keep it on the road..replaced two coils and two tires..it is a f250 and for the last year pulls the enclosed as good as any...it was great with the car,golf cart and trailer was about 7500 pds in all..my theary is it is better to spend alittle for repairs then that pesky monthly payment and that ways when things are good I got more to spend on what is really important..things that puts a smile on my face by going fast..I see a lot of vans pulling feds cause they r light so the bulk of your weight is in the trailer not the fed. Well that's my take..I'd love a new pickup but when the payment is due will be cursing it as I did years ago when I had one..buying something that gets you from point a to b then leaving it hooked up is a great way to go..oh,I have got over 15,000 miles I put on that van over 4 years with replacing two tires(when I got it)and two ignition coils(they wear out like anything else)the sting of repairs is less then the payment..A new truck is easy 500 month if you spend say half of that as average a month in repairs do you have more left for the toys?Just my take..good luck..if you do get a new truck don't tell me cause I might be jealous..lol

Offline imcamod17

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Muncie Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 200" Hal Canode FED
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 01:27:21 PM »
Yeah I don't think I will be buying new but, I appreciate your guys input. I never thought of a van but sounds like it would get the job done.    I sounds like a 3/4 ton is the way to go. Thanks

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 03:00:49 PM »
...  I sounds like a 3/4 ton is the way to go...

Does that imply on a dually? Or standard single drive tires?

I occasionally drive 3/4 ton duallies at work... they are nice, but there's baggage with that. I don't want a dually until I really need it.

My '02 Tahoe 1500 gets by alright with a fairly light 24' trailer (old 7.5K Haulmark). It's my daily driver and gets 18 MPG on the highway (at 70 MPH).

I like the van idea, as a dedicated tow vehicle. Better yet, a dually 3/4 ton van!  ;)

Offline LaneM

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.68 1/4
  • Your Engine: BBC 548ci crowler injected alky
  • Your Track: RMR West Valley,Utah
  • Your Vehicle: front engine digger of course
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 05:08:45 PM »
the great thing about a van is everything is inside out of weather and locked up.My van has the bins and shelfs in it so its easy to have things tidy and you know where they are..I also leave my generator and tow dolly in there as well since what I have in the trailer I keep in cabnets so they don't bounce around and hurt the ride. I personally would rather put a couple grand a year into a older pull vehicule then 6 or more thousand for payments..its just me but I love the van and it pulls the trailer with no problems what so ever..besides ,the race isn't on the highway its at the track..that way I don't spill my pepsi on the way there.

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »
An old ambulance will give you a 1 ton chassis, and a real good 110v. inverter.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club