Author Topic: Front End Designs / traction issues  (Read 24507 times)

dreracecar

Re: Front End Designs / traction issues
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2015, 08:11:37 AM »
You didn't say what length your car is. If it is a long wheelbase car you need to go to as narrow a front end as you feel comfortable with while still staying legal. This makes the car easier to steer

What a crock of ........

Offline tire wiper

• View Profile
  • Your Track: HRHS tracks
  • Your Vehicle: J/FC #723
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2015, 09:13:06 AM »
Hi Drag:
Once again way cool with the 335. Love those engines and great to see one in a FED.
So am I seeing high port heads in that photo??  Did you do them or are they older heads? Are you using them again or going to an aftermarket on your new heads?
Thanks for posting on your gr ogress . This is way fun to read about.
Luke
Thanks for the complements.  I did these heads myself.  The new heads are done the same way.  I'm not aware of any aftermarket iron heads that are in production any more.  CHI used to make an iron version of the 3v head.  They quit and I haven't found any for sale.  I have a complete 429ci Windsor smallblock with c302 heads that I may drop in sometime and run the 7.50 pro NDRL class.  For now my goal is to run 8.00 and sqeeze as much out of this old Cleveland as I can. 

I bought my first fed when I was in highschool (wanted a fuel altered, MOM said NO). I put a real stock Boss 302 in it and ran 9.50's.  Then I built my current car from scratch in 2005 with a stock 351c and ran 8.50's but burned up parts right an left learning the whole way.  Wanting to get into porting, I built a flowbench and started on a set of Cleveland heads for the car.  Needless to say, I'm still learning... These heads on the car flow 315 and I have a new set that flow 330.  My goal is 360 or higher.  I've thought about designing a new iron head and having it cast(something that would flow 420 or so).  I've laser scanned the stock head and have played with it in solidworks for a bit.  I had to stop for a bit and kill some cancer. But now its game-on!

Call Dennis Young for the availability of Aussie heads @ 714-321-6133. Tell him a friend of McKrays gave you the number.

Offline DragsterNut

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.80 1/4 mile 4.89 1/8 mile
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: 184 inch FED 352ci Iron Headed Ford Cleveland on alcohol
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2015, 08:57:34 AM »
Call Dennis Young for the availability of Aussie heads @ 714-321-6133. Tell him a friend of McKrays gave you the number.
Thanks.  I will call him. Does he have iron heads?

The car is 184" WB.  1214lbs on rear, 338lbs on front.

Update on my 7.80 pass. When I got home I read the logger closer (had to pack up quickly as my wife had enough) and found that on the last "all-out" license pass 1 plug was closed up all the way and 2 others were "re-gapped" to .010 for me.  I checked the bearings, no issues, just not enough piston to plug clearance.  So, I'm expecting more out of 8 cylinders. Also, I took 100 lbs off the car over the past 2 weeks.  Now down to 1552 with me in it.  I can't wait for the NDRL race at Gateway.

Thanks again to all of you for the help.