Author Topic: How I spent my Labor day  (Read 18252 times)

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: How I spent my Labor day
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 05:55:53 AM »
I would think that a neutral safety switch would be something you would want for the safety of all, even if not required.

I'm not required to run a blower bag, but I have one. Just common sense.

What Bruce did not point out in words of two syllables or less (despite my smart arse prompt) is that with a blower starter car there is nowhere to wire the neutral safety switch. As he did comment, in a regular deal with an on board starter (even with remote batteries) the neutral safety disables the starter circuit so that the motor will not crank unless the shifter is in neutral or park. I can't see any way without a complicated series of relays to disable the ignition circuit so that a blower starter car would not start unless it was in neutral or park.
 On the subject of remote electrical kill switches we run an 18 volt tool battery on Mark Vaught's car to power the logger and the trans brake so we run a kill switch on the back of the car for that circuit. It won't shut the car off but it will kill the circuit in case of an electrical incident. We also have a mag kill switch back there which we don't normally use but in light of the incident earlier this year in Illinois where a magneto ignition front engine car had an incident and was up against the guard rail running flat out with  the driver unconscious it seems like a good idea. In that case nobody could get to the kill switch in the cockpit because the rear wheels were spinning. I have not been around junior dragsters for many years but they had an external magneto kill switch that could be operated by an adult in case of an incident.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 07:09:36 AM »
I have control of the starter switch that is mounted to the starter along with the solinoid plus I signal the driver. The exact same way the "BIG SHOW" teams do it.Function of the neutral safety switch is only allow power to the start switch in either park or neutral to prevent the car from self starting

Function of the neutral safety switch is to prevent anyone from starting the car unless its in neutral or park, on the off chance that somebody forgot to put it in park or neutral before trying to start the car. In the past season alone, I've seen several people stabbing the starter button in a furious attempt to start a car that's been left in gear.  Obviously, concessions are made to blower started cars since there would have to be additional wiring plugged in at start up to operate the safety switch. Operators of these cars should be expected to operate the safety switch located between their ears in a satisfactory manner to prevent injury to themselves or others, lust like the big boys.
                     For cars with block mounted starters and automatic transmissions, a neutral safety switch is a xxxx good idea.

dreracecar

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 09:40:43 AM »
Then what would you say to all of those cars that have clutches and Lencos in them, Clutches are just a dry converter and the Lencos just a stackable automatic transmission. Lencos HAVE NO Neutral and are always in gear,The neutral is the drivers foot on the peddle and hand on the brake- no safety switch there and you would be very hard pressed to get the rule past to get them to install one.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 10:07:40 AM »
Neutral safety would be clutch depressed???
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

dreracecar

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 10:32:16 AM »
Mine is the driver making sure the xxxx thing is in neutral and giving me the OK to fire before I hit the switch. Works every single time.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 11:44:54 AM »
I understand, it is the human factor that bothers me. Humans make mistakes.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

dreracecar

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2014, 01:04:06 PM »
Then sell your car and get out of racing

Lets eliminate reverse, dont want to back into anybody
build a wall down the middle or just run singles for time so the other guy doesnt crash you
cap the drivers age @ 52 years, dont want an old guy have a heart attack, same with Diabetes

I have seen these things happen more often then cars without NSS's starting in gear

Standard test for NSS in the tech line is with the ign off and the car in gear the tech will push the starter  button, if the motor turns over, you have some explaining to do as to why. I never had to bring my starter and kit to tech or when they make housecalls. Just about every car that get pushed or towed either from the finnish or to the start does so in neutral anyway

Offline hotrod316

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 08:13:12 AM »
this is becoming a good lol 8)