Author Topic: 10.20's and tech guy says don't come back without chassis cert  (Read 12794 times)

Offline cj92345

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: 350
  • Your Track: fontana
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 britting
I can't find anything.... But this is what I 'am told today.... Running 10.20's at 130.... Is this right? Mines a older chassis but cage has been updated :o

dreracecar

Re: 10.20's and tech guy says don't come back without chassis cert
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 05:09:09 PM »
NHRA spec only calls out SFI for 9.99 and quicker, HOWEVER--- IF you are running in a class with a 9.60 index, even tho your car will only do 10.20's you are still required to have the SFI cert.  If you are just bracket racing and your dial is 10.20 you dont need a SFI cert-- BUT the chassie must still comply with the diagrams shown in the rule book for 7.50 and slower, just does not have to be certed with a sticker.

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 07:21:07 PM »
I had a fellow with what is called a silver ticket go over mine. He has spent a lifetime as  track manager or employee in some form or another. He said mine was fine and would not should not raise any flags. One thing I know they look for is the K or diagonal bracing and a "foot box" And then there are from time to time tech guys who are not techy and easily influenced by someone who doesn't want you playing in their sandbox. Or putting it another way. Some fellows in tech scramble to appear knowledgeable and others are knowledgeable. Sometimes  if they are unreasonable just don't go there. I remember two times in my career when I ran into idiots. Once in NY State a tech guy hassled me because I had a 7/16ths bolt on the battery hold down tray and the rule book said minimum 3/8ths. I talked my way through it that day but NEVER returned. Another west of here hassled me with our very successful Door slammer (in the book Old Reliable) because I had made my 5 point roll bar  from 2 inch Dom .120" instead of 1 3/4". He was sure we were not going to run and went and got the NHRA tech guy (he was track owner or manager)   The NHRA tech explained to him at least twice that my BAR Exceeded minimum specs and was properly made as per the current rules. He did the Well I dont know thing but reluctantly let us run that day. He never got a second chance from me as I never returned. As a sign in my friends machine shop says "Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever" Sometimes you just cant win. So you could get it teched which is up here about $140 and that would put an end to it or you could just avoid the place if you have another option. I carry a rule book right with me when I go to tech and make sure it is in plain sight just so they realize I am familiar with it in case they are not. For the most part we are welcomed and well treated but occasionally we meet a "donkey". Problems at the local track were traced down eventually to a personal hate of six cyl drag cars and the track manager eventually stepped in and  crushed the nonsense. I had supplied a 300 ford six power to one of their track champions from my shop and he regular smoked the tech  and starting line guys friends and brother so I was just getting that crap as payback. The track manager, even though we were never great pals saw through that and one day when they were hassling me and my car just stepped in and told them that was enough. Let Don run right now. And that was the end of it.
don
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:30:37 PM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline cj92345

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 07:51:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply's.....and class is 10.00 and slower
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:59:04 PM by cj92345 »

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 08:49:13 AM »
And your responce should be--

Im sorry I must have missed it. Would you please show me where it is in the rules so I may highlite it in my copy for future reference

Offline hotrod316

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 01:08:26 PM »
is there something about over 130 mph in nhra spec.

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 02:11:35 PM »
Maybe next time out bring your tech guy a rule book and a school book on math, Last I heard 10.20 was slower than 10.00 , you shouldn't have to do anthing til you run 9.99 or better,, Tim Jones

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 12:42:55 PM »
If I were you I would call your Division Tech line and explain your situation with them . Sometimes the local track inspectors just don't know the rules as they should . Your division tech guy should be able to give you the answers you need . Bill

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 07:34:09 PM »
is there something about over 130 mph in nhra spec.

9.99 or 135mph

dreracecar

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 08:32:17 AM »
Open-bodied cars running 9.99 and
quicker and/or faster than 135 mph must meet applicable SFI
Specification for e.t. (see Class Requirements).

The speed thing was started by the "Super- Gas/Comp" cars where they were using prostock style engines and even though the ET were well above the cert , because of throttlestops were going over 200mph at the finnish.

Through Facebook- get ahold of Ken Gentry, He is the main guy(NHRA heritage tech director) to go to for chassies for the NHRA heritage series and explain the issue via messenger.

Its not just a single speed or ET issue at play here, hit any one of those 2 and it will also require a competition drivers license.

Offline cj92345

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 02:01:24 PM »
ok, NHRA  tech says I need cert.... he said ALL dragsters need inspection no matter what they run :-\.......coming out on the 12th for inspection, hope this goes well :o
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:03:26 PM by cj92345 »

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 03:07:38 AM »
How'ed it go with the tech guy?  Tim Jones

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 11:47:57 AM »
Can anyone tell me what the 1/8-mile equivalents are with respect to chassis certification and driver licensing rules and requirements?
Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

Offline cj92345

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 06:57:07 PM »
I started another thread about the results