Author Topic: locked timing  (Read 5180 times)

Offline spookie

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.92 1/4 5.59 1/8
  • Your Track: Quarter Aces drag-o-way
  • Your Vehicle: F.E.D.
locked timing
« on: September 13, 2014, 04:59:06 AM »
sbc on alcohol, msd dist, locked timing at 30* now have starter kickback. I spin motor then turn on iginion,still have kickback. Should I undue locked timing. P.S. using injection.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: locked timing
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 05:27:38 AM »
never ran anything but locked timing and nothing w/o injection since 1986. It has nothing to do with locked timing. Maybe not enough fuel. Also why only 30*.34 to 40 is normal range of timing.Most everything I have ran with injection was around 38*.

What kind of ignition?
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline spookie

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.92 1/4 5.59 1/8
  • Your Track: Quarter Aces drag-o-way
  • Your Vehicle: F.E.D.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 06:44:53 AM »
using msd 6al. ran more timing did not go faster 34* was best mph. I backed it to 30*to try to stop kick back. I pull lean out to stop engine. Could this cause lean start kick back?

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 08:26:37 AM »
If you are not giving it a shot from either bottle or primer system, that is your problem.It takes a little for the pump to get fuel flowing throw system. Pulling shut off ia always good. I hydrauliced a BBC because crew guy didn't. Yu can click it once it starts to rev after pulling shut off this will leave some fuel in system.Would be good idea to let it spin some before before hitting ignition.

If no crew member to prime it then a primer system would be cheaper than flywheel's and starters. You can make one with simple pump thru a  line with check valve and into back of distribution block. Check needs almost zero pressure its mainly to keep fuel from flowing back when car is running on mechanical pump. Jetting its not bad idea or some way to limit amount of fuel to motor when priming it.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 09:22:15 AM »
Why would you lock out a distributor ? with the 6al box you are getting full intensity spark at low rpms.One can lock out the magneto because the spark quality at low starting RPM's is just enough to get things going. Right now with a L-O dist the system thinks you are trying to start at 45* give or take. Either un-lock the distributor and run it as designed or trash all that crap and drop in a simple magneto system (vertex).

An electronic ign system fires a intense spark at a presise moment of piston travel (great for gas). Alc as a fuel will only lite(to make energy) when conditions-heat and compression- are right and that means when cold the fuel will lite with the piston further up the bore, as heat developes it will fire sooner(piston further down the bore)Since the magneto has a wide spark duration it covers that spread

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 10:59:32 AM »
too retarded for a sbc on alky, bump it to 34, prime it, spin it on the starter then flick the ignition