Author Topic: Kellison Slip-Tube Kit Car  (Read 10867 times)

Offline The Blaze

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Da' Grove (Great Lakes Dragaway)
  • Your Vehicle: None
Kellison Slip-Tube Kit Car
« on: July 30, 2014, 06:55:21 AM »
Hey Keith,
I have a Kellison Slip-Tube Dragster.
Virgin Car !  Never raced.
Chute Packer Body never cut or drilled.
I know it would need updates to race.
Is it more valued as a Vintage Collectable ?
Car is FOR SALE and looking for Offers.
Thanks
The Blaze /  Cudahy, WI   8)

dreracecar

Re: Kellison Slip-Tube Kit Car
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 08:17:07 AM »
Certain things about your chassie does not scream that its a Kellison. Kellison's had curved front torsion arms for one, But no matter It will have more value as a Cackle then it would as a racer with all the updaters it would require. What kind of numbers were you looking at?

Offline The Blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
$6500.00  ???

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 09:30:46 AM »
Crickets chirpping

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 10:18:14 AM »
For anyone here following this thread here is what I posted on the HAMB earlier today before Blaze showed up here:

"It has some value to anyone wanting to build a period correct cackle car (especially as it is new and unmolested) but the lack of history as an actual car with racing history hurts it a little in the marketplace. It is a little hard to see in your photos but it looks as if the torsion arm is slotted at the front (as per a Don Long car) and that is not correct for a Kellison as they used the torsion bar for the lower axle location with radius rods for the upper. Long slotted his arms as he used four radius rods and the axle needed to be able to move in the arc of the radius rods without binding at the torsion arm location. The motor plate also looks to be a little tall for the vintage of the car--does the body match it?
Photos of the body would also help as suggested by dmc3113. Was the car in Wisconsin when you found it? If so it may be an R & B".

With it now being confirmed that it is not an R & B I dug around a bit and found some photos of the Don's Speed Shop Kellison and it appears to match your car, especially it those are the rear mounts for the radius rods on the top frame rail two thirds of the way back towards the motor. That said, $6500 is a big ask for a bare bones chassis and body with no history. I did not pay a lot more than that for my Don Long/Hanna full bodied car and it was a roller (with the original front wheels and documented history).

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 10:29:30 AM »
Roo,
     I dug around too a little because of the slots in the torsion arms, came across a Kellison Catolog and the pic shows a center axle radious rod for which the chassie that Blaze shows also has the mount on the torsion. That would allow the slots in the arms ,but the original Kellison arms were curved to clear the spindal ty-rod. Would like to see the back of the chassie to see if it has 2 rear uprites or 1.

Offline The Blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 01:45:21 PM »
Here's some more pics .....

dreracecar

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 01:59:20 PM »
Maybe a virgin,BUT, It has been to 2nd base in the backseat of the Dodge parked at lookout point more than once

Offline The Blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 05:55:22 PM »
OK. Maybe not a Virgin. But 99% SURE it's a Kellison. >:(
Any collector value ?
$6500.00 to high  ?
What do you think would be a FAIR $$$  ?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 05:58:51 PM by The Blaze »

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 06:38:31 PM »
Maybe a virgin, BUT, It has been to 2nd base in the backseat of the Dodge parked at lookout point more than once

ha, ha, ha, love it!

Blaze, sorry for disappointing you, but $6.5K seems excessively high. I paid just a tad more for a vintage SPE roller, drop-an-engine-and-go-race car. If you want to test the waters, you could put it on eBay.

dreracecar

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 07:45:29 AM »
Kellison does not bring in much value as the car sits now,  If the car had all the parts and pieces and was strapped to the original shipping palet as delivered, the the value would be correct even without racing history

Offline hotrod316

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 03:17:18 PM »
I will start the bidding @$ 500.00 and I will make a gate with it  8)  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
DARN THAT'S BEEN DONE  :)