Author Topic: Helpful advice for first timer?  (Read 21823 times)

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
Re: Helpful advice for first timer?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 06:09:20 PM »
I think sitting in the car, visualizing and executing every action from starting the car to stopping at the far end, that you are going to go through on every run is EXTREMELY valuable and helpful. I drove a hundred passes in my mind before I ever went down a track in any car, many of them sitting in the car and going through the motions. I still do that to this day. I usually won't make the motor noises unless no one is around though... It's still not the same as at the track when the motor is lit and the heat is on, but it HELPS.
Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 05:18:12 AM »
I had not driven since 1971 (and then only an 11 second six cylinder FED) when I got my fuel ticket in 2010. As everyone else has said, make sure that you are comfortable in the car and practice until you can work the controls without thinking. I was lucky enough to get the very first burnout right, just enough smoke and did not zing the motor (no throttle stop). After the first launch it was easy, I then knew what it felt like and stepped it up run by run. I even pedalled it when it carried the front end and headed inside on the second hit. The third time was a half track shot (actually about 600ft) and it went 8.98. Another one of those and then a 1000 footer where it went 7.10 before nosing over rich. The first full pull it again nosed over on the top end but still ran 6.86.
  I guess that I had a bit of an advantage having built the car and also having been around fuel cars for a long time so when things happened I thought "OK, that's what that actually fells like". The nose over deal was a prime example. The car was pulling hard and suddenly I was up against the belts (Big show speak "My head hit the dash"). Time to lift.
  On the helmet fogging I do the same as Glenn. I leave mine open one click on the detent for the burnout and the first thing that I do when I stop from the burnout is to open it all the way. I usually close it right before I put the first light on so that my left hand is free to make sure the motor is on the high side before I bump into the second light. A twin eye port head sock helps and if you are running at night in cool weather putting the helmet under the heater outlet in the tow car also helps. Just place it so that the heater blows into the helmet (with the visor shut).

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 05:26:45 AM »
I had not driven since 1971 (and then only an 11 second six cylinder FED) when I got my fuel ticket in 2010. As everyone else has said, make sure that you are comfortable in the car and practice until you can work the controls without thinking. I was lucky enough to get the very first burnout right, just enough smoke and did not zing the motor (no throttle stop). After the first launch it was easy, I then knew what it felt like and stepped it up run by run. I even pedalled it when it carried the front end and headed inside on the second hit. The third time was a half track shot (actually about 600ft) and it went 8.98. Another one of those and then a 1000 footer where it went 7.10 before nosing over rich. The first full pull it again nosed over on the top end but still ran 6.86.
  I guess that I had a bit of an advantage having built the car and also having been around fuel cars for a long time so when things happened I thought "OK, that's what that actually fells like". The nose over deal was a prime example. The car was pulling hard and suddenly I was up against the belts (Big show speak "My head hit the dash"). Time to lift.
  On the helmet fogging I do the same as Glenn. I leave mine open one click on the detent for the burnout and the first thing that I do when I stop from the burnout is to open it all the way. I usually close it right before I put the first light on so that my left hand is free to make sure the motor is on the high side before I bump into the second light. A twin eye port head sock helps and if you are running at night in cool weather putting the helmet under the heater outlet in the tow car also helps. Just place it so that the heater blows into the helmet (with the visor shut).

Roo

I thought for sure I saw you in and FED at Indy about 5 years back?

I'll have to try the helmet under the heater output
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 06:34:27 AM »

Was Roo under a race helmet or his trademark Akubra hat??   :)

Offline tony1966

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.62 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Great Lakes Dragaway
  • Your Vehicle: 2008 FED
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 07:14:37 AM »
I made it out yesterday, and I can't thank you enough for all the helpful hints.  Spend most of last night fooling around getting the valves set, going over the procedure with my helpers (two seem to be the minimum I can get away with) and going over in my mind what to do.  Finally near dusk i got around to making a pass. 

Burnout was good, but i seem to have an off idle stumble which helped a bit.  Once the motor caught itself the rpm's came up and the burnout, according to my brother, looked perfect.  The stumble caught me again on the line, but when the engine caught on, it was out like a rocket.  I tried to shift to 2nd right away, but somehow bumped the shifter too far and got neutral.  At this point i was out of the groove anyway, and I was NOT looking at the horizon any more, so i just idled the rest of the way.  All I can gather from the run was "Wow, this thing is fast!".  But I had a huge smile on my face the rest of the day, and not so nervous. 

I didn't feel too good about making a run at night yet and the track gets dewey (is that a word?) so i packed it in.  I'm going back tonite for hopefully a couple more runs after i fiddle with the injection.

I got a couple of thumbs up and the like from some of the folks there (that's at least some of the reason we do this, right?) and I had a great time.  And I can't wait to get back in the seat now.

Tony

dreracecar

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 07:39:56 AM »
Went into neutral---- do a leakdown

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 09:57:39 AM »

I'll have to try the helmet under the heater output
[/quote]

I drove your car after I got my fuel ticket Glenn. That is why a low 9 second run made me feel like it was parked  :)

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 10:24:38 AM »
It is funny how your perspective change with more speed. My firs car ran 6.30 1/8 first season.2nd year was running 5.90 with few new parts.Broke the 5.13 reargeart and swapped in a 4.86 dropped it back to 6.19.Man I thought I could get out  run faster on foot.

Now going from 5.70 1/4 TA/D car to a hopefully high six second car.MAybe the front engine vs rearengine will help keep the fun meter up there. Those sub 6 second runs get costly quick.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 11:52:48 AM »
Yes, the heat-up your helmet is a good idea, it is what I did when racing at night in Wisconsin. The point is to have the helmet shield close to your body temp. Sometimes I just took the shield off the helmet and put it under my suit next to my body.
NOW about going into neutral during a run, you may need a better shifter that has a lock-out to prevent going into neutral OR reverse.
We had a trans linkage issue last year, when our driver shifted into high gear, it went into neutral, motor went to 12,000 rpm, broke the block, some pistons, some rods, one head and some lifters. A high RPM rev limiter will not catch a fast reving motor unloaded. That will be about $13k to replace. Fix your shifter so you don't ruin your fun before you really get started.     

Jon Hansen, Hayden Wheels and Hammer-Hansen-Hook-Ramay JrFuel
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 12:10:32 PM »
Jon maybe next time list what did not break would be better.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline tony1966

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2014, 01:26:46 PM »
I did find some anti fog spray and used that a couple of times, it seemed to work ok.  I'll try heating up the glasses, too.  Never thought of that.

On the shifter, I'll chalk that one up to bone head driver.  there's a stop to prevent from shifting past second, but somehow i managed to get by it.  Perhaps a little too excited?  :)  If i do it one more time, the shifter is getting modified/replaced.  I've got a 7K chip on it and i never got into the rev limiter, the motor should hold together till at least 8500.  Once i get this stumble thing figured it'll be way easier to drive.

I was thinking of high gear only runs to make the learning curve a little easier.  I am not looking to set any records, have plenty of time to let the trans cool, as that'll work the  converter pretty good.

Offline Totally T

• View Profile
    • NDRL
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 06:07:39 PM »
Need to take a look at that stumble...
Troy Wilson
Nostalgia Drag Racing League

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 03:18:43 AM »
nice to hear you got out for a pass, How'd the motor check out ,, Tim Jones

Offline tony1966

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 01:11:32 PM »
nice to hear you got out for a pass, How'd the motor check out ,, Tim Jones
I haven't worked on car too much lately, helping my brother out over the weekend.  I am trying to get a handle on the mech fuel injection (see my post in Spud Miller's section), but learning so much from you guys.  To date, I have 4 passes on the car, and am getting more comfortable each run.  So far I've only managed 10.03 on a car probably run 7's, but I'll get there.  And there is nothing more fun than the burnouts!

My only regret is not getting one of these sooner!

tony