Author Topic: Engine oil recycle / Tire recommedation  (Read 18207 times)

Offline Van

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.11 @ 189 with this car
  • Your Engine: Lincoln blown alky 534
  • Your Track: Bakersfield Ca.
  • Your Vehicle: Dragster
  • General Location: west coast
Re: Engine oil recycle / Tire recommedation
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 05:01:01 PM »
I don't call my drain oil used, I call it experienced oil.

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 05:29:19 PM »
We run an inline oil filter. If we suspect any problem, it's real easy to check the filter for metal.

I like Borrani's also, I have 17",18", 19" Borrani rims in stock.
On our JrFueler, I run 18" Borrani wheels with short side wall, 2.00x18, Bridgestone M/C racing tires.
The 2.00x18 tires are the same Dia as 2.50x17 , and they weigh only 8 lbs per wheel and tire, and with ceramic bearings have very low rotating weight, ala less HP to get and keep them spinning.

Any idea how old the 3.00x19 Avon's are ?  You should be able to check the sidewalls for the week and year they were manufactured.
IE. 0807 = 8'th week of 2007.  I'm interested in buying some from your supplier. jchansen60@gmail.com

Jon Hansen   
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Kjula Raceway
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 01:33:42 AM »
I don't call my drain oil used, I call it experienced oil.

Yes:) and quality too:):)

/K

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 03:55:22 PM »
I change mine every year. :>)
don
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline Totally T

• View Profile
    • NDRL
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 08:43:12 PM »
Ive saw several people cook it down in crock pots and reuse it..mainly to get the water off and that is all.

Why do you not run a filter?
Troy Wilson
Nostalgia Drag Racing League

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 07:32:31 PM »
Totally T - oil filtering system not efficient design to start with on V8 ford fh.  A few out there have said running the stock oil filter is like not running one at all.  There’s a cavity cast in back of the block that oil is pumped into and then routed out (to front two mains, 3 cam bearings and timing gears/distributor, plus to rear main and fuel pump pushrod).  Stock tappets receive oil from crankshaft slinging it around.  No oil going upstairs like a pushrod engine.  If this cavity could be modified, adding a 100 percent oil filtering system would be less challenging.     

Majority of “drag race only” V8 ford fh engines I’ve seen run no oil filter.  I used 4 quarts (oil pan capacity) and no oil filter same as K.  He/she who selects this engine needs to be clever to have 100 percent oil filtered with how oil cavity operates, or be okay with partial filtering, or think of another solution… (i.e. no filter and change oil often/inspect)  I’ve seen external oil pump setup, then easy to add oil filter for 100 percent filtering.  DF

p.s. K, hope okay to interject, couldn’t resist adding comment for ford block, I know yours a french block "with improvements" which may prompt other reasons too : )

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 01:00:02 AM »
Thanks DF, good explenation:) The French is mostly the same as the US Version. To make 100% filtering, one need to modify the Stock pump With and blank off some of the Stock passages. As you say we can also do external solution, and drysump would bee the Choice. But I don't like the idea on having more external lines and hoses. the vibrations on a dragster causes Things to come loose and breake more easy, and With a drysump, one will need another drive for it, don't want have another belt;) And it does not look vintage, just ugly;)
I have plugged the fuelpump pushrod hole, and we have great pressure, 40-50 psi on idle, and 100 psi on full throttle:) 8 quarts in the pan.
As you say, this is to be on the safe side. We have run this the last couple of years and, knock on Wood, no sign of exsessive vear:)

And Jon, the local supplier was out of the 3.00x19 Avon's, but he said they will get moore next season. So I whent on the web and found a supplier here in europe, that had them, approx. $200 for a pair, shipped delivered on my door:) Have also found another website that sells stuff for motorcycles. They even had ribbed 2.75x19, but the  brand was unknown for me. I'm checking if they have a serious business:)

/K

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 07:45:46 AM »
Got my new Avon 3.00x19" Friday:) Have also located 2.75x19" budget tires(ribbed). But has no speed rating;/
So Jon, check out these sites;
www.motorsykkeldekk.no
www.feked.com

Let me know what you think;)

/K