Author Topic: New tire recommendations for our FED  (Read 14006 times)

Offline Supercat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.16 @ 218 1/4
  • Your Track: Bakersfield to Bowling Green to New England dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Buick powered/ 200" Fastech FED
Re: New tire recommendations for our FED
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 07:14:50 PM »
Steve we will be at National trail on Friday and Saturday August 1st and 2nd.
We will be the only dragster at the Event so it should be fun ;D.
Give me a shout if you feel like heading over.

Jon I am running a 462" iron block. Block was run on the dyno on gas at 32 degrees with a carb. just under 950 hp and 790+ ft/lb. 
We were told the numbers would increase with the switch to methanol. We can run the car on a mellow 20-25% nitro but that will only be if I really need to to break through any et/mph barriers. We have the parts and the tune up in the trailer if needed ;).

As for the weight...... We scaled the car at Vegas and that was the weight ???.
We run an on-board 16volt battery, twin fire bottles in the nose, a snout full of lead.(many issues with the car carrying the front down the track.) We have been playing around with different engines in the car, so we have made a lot of the brackets and mounts in mild steel. We are just seeing what works where and then we will make a lot of the parts in aluminum or tube.
Our chassis is also capable of running N-TF we have a 6.0 sticker on the car now.

Before adding the lead in the nose...when we were on a good pass the car would lift the front end and then you shift to second and the soft feel in the tires was a little unsettling. We will try to get out to the track on Friday night.

Thanks for the info everyone. I am leaning towards using the 11.5 wheels with another new set of Hoosiers. That seems like it should solve part of the soft feel at the shift.

We have found the tire likes between 7-8 lbs. depending on the track