Author Topic: Front end shake  (Read 5450 times)

Offline Graygoat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 5.90
  • Your Track: Alabama international dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 23t altered
Front end shake
« on: July 19, 2014, 09:22:27 PM »
I recently moved my battery from the front to the rear of the car, I ran the car about 5 times with no problem but now I'm getting a violent front end shake at about 400 feet. All seems tight in the linkage. Any ideas?

Offline gasmanm01

• View Profile
Re: Front end shake
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 03:28:26 PM »
Try to "roll " the front axle down if it is adjustable. It will change the castor/camber on the axle. My old altered years ago did the same until ws reset the front becaus we  also took soms weight off

Offline DON

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.49 /109 mph in 1/8
  • Your Engine: 302 chev.
  • Your Track: Empire dragway
  • Your Vehicle: T bodied altered
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 04:36:53 PM »
Had same problem with front end wobble on my altered after one piece opel body was replaced with light
t - body. Made many adjustments . Only solution was to add steering damper . I bought S&W unit which is adjustable . Other units out there ,street rod  or volkswagan .Talked to other altered guys who have added them with same severe wobble . That convivced me to buy it .

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 01:14:47 AM »
Sound advice. Been there done that. On my rail which is short wheelbase (96 inch) straight axle I never had any problem on a smooth track and return road but when I started Airfield Racing some of the 75 year old runways are a bit bumpy and it would occasionally do that when braking after the burnout through the starting line if I hit a rough spot or crack in the pavement. Having run into it before back in the 70s with a 32 Bantam altered I ordered a moog VW bug unit and installed it before the next race at that airfield. Have raced there many times since over the years. Problem is GONE! Not even a hint of it. Installation took about an hour and cost was $70 CAN.
another don
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:17:43 AM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!