Author Topic: FED to Norway  (Read 78980 times)

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 - 9.08
  • Your Track: Gardermoen Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 180" FED
Re: FED to Norway
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2015, 12:01:53 PM »
No need for new balancer!! That ones a brand new ATI. I used that with the fuel pump bolted to the cover, I had to "notch" the pump flange and that is why there the bolt on the bottom left is smaller, but it will work. I ran the smaller flexplate because there was no room on my chassis.
As for valve cover gaskets I used the blue silicone/metal ones and glued them to the valve cover, so when I checked the valves between rounds there was no looking around for them. Head gaskets you can use the same as what I left on motor for refrence.

Jim

Jim, you are absolutely correct! I can cut of the bottom of the pump flange and it will go clear! My bad...sorry about that.
I cleaned up the intake, and have ordered some new sets of gaskets for the throttle bodies from Alkydigger...as soon as they get here it goes back together.

Jim, did you run water in it?
Im not... So i was wondering if i could plug the front holes for the water on the intak, or should i leave them open?

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2015, 03:30:59 PM »
did you buy the your zoomies from Brendan Murray yet ? im thinking of buying a set, would love to see some pics if you have any

Offline jimc

• Southern Slingshots Northern Race Coordinator
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.93
  • Your Engine: 383 Tom Martino
  • Your Track: Englishtown, Atco
  • Your Vehicle: '70 Ed Mabry 186"
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2015, 07:25:39 PM »
I ran water in my engines. Like all the other posts on here about it, good idea. Regarding the water holes, if your running no water leave them open to vent a little bit and the same on the back ones as well. Just my thoughts on this one.

jim

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2015, 12:57:35 AM »
Heads are back from the health check. They are straight as can be and there is no leaks on closed valves. Ready to bolt back on!

I did not buy the zoomies yet.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2015, 01:48:33 PM »
I got a set of those headers--priced right at $289   look great nice sweep etc but the welding was rough- hot and deep and skimpy-rather they had just tacked them and let me do it--took some doing to get them right but happy with them overall -- nowhere else to get anything near them for the $$--flanges are nice too
I would buy amother set if I needed some for sure
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2015, 02:40:55 AM »
Working...   :D

Offline jimc

• Southern Slingshots Northern Race Coordinator
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.93
  • Your Engine: 383 Tom Martino
  • Your Track: Englishtown, Atco
  • Your Vehicle: '70 Ed Mabry 186"
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2015, 05:40:22 PM »
That looks familiar! Getting it done. Shouldnt be long now

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2015, 11:58:52 PM »
.... im slowing down and (or because) im running out of money, and its just a month to first race!   :-\  Still waiting for a few parts from the other side of the pond also, its killing me!

I need a cure (quickly)....

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2015, 04:52:57 AM »
Hang in there Gasser! Don't rush it--take your time/do it right so you don't have any setbacks--no matter when you get that first pass it will be the best thing that ever happened--I have 7 runs on my car now and starting to get the feel of it pretty good--just take your time--go over everything twice and..do expect some small issues--just don't let them get you down--all part of it--
Jim, the guy you bought the engine from, and Adam the guy you got the car from will give you the best info on getting it all right--go with advice from them and you will be fine--it takes a few weeks to get used to a stack injection and whatever you do don't go messing with it and get it out of adjustment--talk with Jim BEFORE doing anything to that engine--Good Luck!!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2015, 05:16:12 AM »
Thanks Dave,
Problem is there is only this weekend of license runs here  - second weekend in May (small country and very few races over the summer). My brain is working overtime to figure out how to make this.
Im moving into my garage tonight trying to get a bit further, but im missing parts to get much more done at the moment  :(

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2015, 05:48:57 AM »
I work at race parts place and fed-ex cheap overseas--what do you need?
can't you run un-licensed just for test and tune?

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2015, 06:13:32 AM »
I work at race parts place and fed-ex cheap overseas--what do you need?
can't you run un-licensed just for test and tune?

The parts are already on its way Dave, but easter delayed shipping. Local post is sometimes way to slow because of customs handling etc, but hopefully i have them in the beginning of next week... one week feels like a year right now, and work has to be done in shorter time.

Not sure if im allowed to run test-n-tune without license, i will check that.
I think i can get a basic personal license with just any daily driver just to pass the theory. But to run the car i thought i needed three license runs before i can do any racing at all...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:17:38 AM by gasserx »

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2015, 10:47:15 AM »
Over here we must have a NHRA license to race at official NHRA races but we can run other places, test all we want no problems--with no license at all. I bet you can attend test nights and get by--ask around.
Good luck, keep digging!

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2015, 01:10:07 AM »
Started working on the trailer last night. Stripped it down long time ago, but havent had space for it inside, so i have waited for the snow and ice to go away before i started.
I originally planed to build a new steel frame for it, but i have changed my mind to save some time and $$ at this point. I will use the stock steel frame (wich is kind of "flimsy" in the rear), but i`ll build a new wooden frame and floor on top of that. I guess it will be more than good enough for a few miles a year.
The frame is narrow, only 164 cm wide.
The original frame are already pre-drilled so all i have to do is cut and drill the wood, and bolt on. Then lights. And i`ll re-use the stock plastic fenders to save even more time and money  ;D
$300 trailer... is not bad, when you consider that the trailer to the right on the picture cost almost $4000 new - here in Norway  :-\

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:29:18 AM by gasserx »

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2015, 01:24:18 PM »
Been busy tonight.... Need to go buy some materials for the floor tomorrow.