Author Topic: FED to Norway  (Read 79135 times)

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: FED to Norway
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2015, 09:19:36 AM »
Nice
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline husker-rat

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Mid-America Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 65 Nova and working on a 23T altered
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2015, 02:15:09 PM »
Don't forget to put oil in it too. Had a friend do that and couldn't figure out why he had no oil pressure after starting it. Thought it was a sender and messed up his fresh engine.

Offline jimc

• Southern Slingshots Northern Race Coordinator
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.93
  • Your Engine: 383 Tom Martino
  • Your Track: Englishtown, Atco
  • Your Vehicle: '70 Ed Mabry 186"
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2015, 03:53:43 PM »
There's new oil in it

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 - 9.08
  • Your Track: Gardermoen Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 180" FED
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2015, 12:44:50 AM »
Jim, of course you can have your crate back. I`ll store it here for you until you come visit Norway  :D

...the day i forget to put oil in an engine, i will stop playing with cars and bikes. Not going to happen.

Haha..
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:37:09 AM by gasserx »

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2015, 11:26:22 PM »
I have too many questions about Small block Chevy motors with mechanical injection on alky (been wrenching mostly on Harley and aircooled VW boxers before), that i will keep my questions in my own thread to dont spam down the "Engines" section of the forum  ;D

I have started to tear down my motor now.
Im sending the Brodix heads away to a family member that works on military machines all day long - and mainly the Leopard engines. They have all kind of the best tools available and he will test and go through them to check every thing is good, and if not - he will fix.

Hilborn injection is disassembled. It will get a good cleanup, new gaskets and some new bolts, then assembled again.

Question: Im not going to run any water in the engine. Can i plug the water holes on the intake, or should i just leave them open?

Motor came without flexplate, and i want an harmonic balancer with a smaller radius (because i think the one that was attached is too big)... and then send the rotating assembly off to balancing.
What would you guys recomend for a good combo (but not too pricey)?

« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:52:37 PM by gasserx »

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2015, 06:18:47 AM »
I have too many questions about Small block Chevy motors with mechanical injection on alky (been wrenching mostly on Harley and aircooled VW boxers before), that i will keep my questions in my own thread to dont spam down the "Engines" section of the forum  ;D

I have started to tear down my motor now.
Im sending the Brodix heads away to a family member that works on military machines all day long - and mainly the Leopard engines. They have all kind of the best tools available and he will test and go through them to check every thing is good, and if not - he will fix.

Hilborn injection is disassembled. It will get a good cleanup, new gaskets and some new bolts, then assembled again.

Question: Im not going to run any water in the engine. Can i plug the water holes on the intake, or should i just leave them open?

Motor came without flexplate, and i want an harmonic balancer with a smaller radius (because i think the one that was attached is too big)... and then send the rotating assembly off to balancing.
What would you guys recomend for a good combo (but not too pricey)?

I would copy and paste this in Matt's Thread as this is an engine question, or I could move it for you if you wish?
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2015, 06:05:23 PM »
no need to re-balance--I bet $1000 it is internal balanced--get any damper you like that is neutral balance--get any SFI 168 tooth neutral flexplate--they are $60 everywhere you look and never look back--that engine had 20 runs according to Jim--just run it  save your $$$$$
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2015, 01:58:22 AM »
Im sceptical to almost everything by nature... but i should probably listen to what you say David.
But im still opening the engine to inspect that all is good anyway.

20 runs with my previous racecar involved two engine teardowns to inspect that everything was okey, but that was not a V8 though :o

Okey, so i will try to decide on a new neutral damper and an SFI flexplate.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2015, 04:18:15 AM »
Flexplate is easy $60 anywhere  and damper that is smallest diameter is Romac--Mike at Alkydigger has them.  ( tell Mike I sent you)I know Jim the man that sold you that engine--it is exactly what he said--he races with our club--JIm is also the best tuner we have so it will be dead on --I understand how you feel--I am the same way but that engine will be a good one. Use correct head gasket--bet it is a FelPro 1003 but just ask Jim--he will know best. It is great to watch your excitement! That first run will be a life changing event.
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2015, 07:37:12 AM »
Just got home from work and checked the balancer that came with engine. Its 6.25" diam..  Might be doing something wrong, but i cant see that this is going to fit at all. What are you other guys running with your cam driven fuel pumps?

I also noticed the head gaskets was Fel-pro 1004, so i guess i`ll order a few extra sets together with a flexplate and starter.
Any recomendations for valve cover gaskets also? I`ll order a bunch from Jegs or Summit.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 07:48:15 AM by gasserx »

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2015, 08:34:05 AM »
Buy the Felpro 1628 performance gasket you will only need one set

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2015, 09:13:48 AM »
Just got home from work and checked the balancer that came with engine. Its 6.25" diam..  Might be doing something wrong, but i cant see that this is going to fit at all. What are you other guys running with your cam driven fuel pumps?

Mine's is ATI 917252 (6.325" dia, 1" longer hub). I cut a small notch on the fuel pump base and had the damper hub trimmed to be as close as possible to the fuel pump mounting bracket (picture is before trimming).

Offline jimc

• Southern Slingshots Northern Race Coordinator
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.93
  • Your Engine: 383 Tom Martino
  • Your Track: Englishtown, Atco
  • Your Vehicle: '70 Ed Mabry 186"
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2015, 06:01:29 PM »
No need for new balancer!! That ones a brand new ATI. I used that with the fuel pump bolted to the cover, I had to "notch" the pump flange and that is why there the bolt on the bottom left is smaller, but it will work. I ran the smaller flexplate because there was no room on my chassis.
As for valve cover gaskets I used the blue silicone/metal ones and glued them to the valve cover, so when I checked the valves between rounds there was no looking around for them. Head gaskets you can use the same as what I left on motor for refrence.

Jim

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2015, 04:10:12 AM »
How about using a longer pump extension to move the pump further out if you are worried about clearance (despite the fact that the original package worked for Jim)?

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2015, 05:07:37 AM »
Im looking into it again tonight. Engine was not 100% complete, and one of the things i needed was a new pump and an extension that i got from Alkydigger.
Make sense now Jim... as you write you notched the pump flange.