Author Topic: FED to Norway  (Read 78749 times)

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 - 9.08
  • Your Track: Gardermoen Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 180" FED
Re: FED to Norway
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 08:49:49 AM »
Cant promise a video, but a few pics at least ..

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 12:41:36 AM »
Yesterday was the day! Left home at 06:00 and headed for Gothenburg. Stopped for breakfast and fuel when we got to Sweden (its cheaper than in Norway). We arrived at the terminal around 9.30.
Have to say i was very excited and wanted to have a look at the car right away, but first they had to do some minor paperwork. Very nice people in the office and no surprises.
Paperwork done, and we walked downstairs and into the storage, and there it was  :) Parked in a corner and looking very good! Only covered by a small layer of dust.
We spent a few minutes going over it, unbolted the wheeliebars and loaded it on my open trailer - wich by the way is a bit shorter than the car. Loaded it with the rear first and supported the frame in several places with woodblocks and some pillows i borrowed from our livingroom (dont tell my wife) to avoid damage to the paint. Worked very well!
Then heading back to Norway. Customs was a pain... so many trucks from eastern europe passing the border, and from what i could here in the customs office, 50 % of them was missing documents, passports, didnt speak english etc etc... i was expecting to stay there for the rest of the day waiting for my turn.
Took me 1.5 hour though, not THAT bad... and the customs guy was very helpfull, and he found it very interesting that i had a dragster with me. A couple of them was "inspecting" it just for fun, and thought it was badass. Even a few Swedish truckers came by and said it was a cool ride.

Several cars drove up on our side and give us the thumbs up as we were heading home  8)

It was a very good feeling to unload it back home and roll it into a warm garage. Needless to say, but i spent the rest of my day in the garage. Tight fit in there, but it feels very good.
I noticed there was a little "thingy" on the PG trans with two white wires on it that was disconnected, not sure what thats for, anyone knows? I can take a pic if thats needed.

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 05:38:13 AM »
If that "thingy" is at the left rear of the trans, it's your trans brake solenoid.

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 05:54:25 AM »
Yes, thats correct. I have little experience with these, but i thought it might be something like that.
Where should that connect? Sorry for the noob question that might be obvious for everyone else on here

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 07:15:43 AM »
One wire to ground, the other to a push button switch on the steering wheel. Applying power should snap the solenoid in. The engine needs to be running to push it back out.

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 11:49:39 PM »
Thanks :)  im advised from a couple of people to not use it, and just run without.  So i guess thats the way it will be as a start, but good to know anyway. Might have use for it some day.

I'm also one step forward regarding its history, waiting patient for some feedback now, and crossing my fingers the best i can. Might be lucky and find its pre -88 owner.

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 11:17:34 PM »
Here is one happy girl  8)

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 01:07:40 PM »
I have been working hard lately, and i do have a lots of good news - at least for myself. Have been able to track down lots of history! I have got many pictures of the car in various paint-schemes and periodes with different owners, and im only about 6-7 years away from its very beginning, and im still waiting for more information that supposed to be available.
Car was originally shorter wheelbase, and it had a chutepack body also, but that was removed and replaced by the shorty that is on it now together with the fixed frontend and a few other details. The cage itself was upgraded in the late 80`s.
I also know the shop that did the changes to it in the 70`s, and i also know the name on the guy who did it, and i know where he works today - so im going to get in touch with him soon (i hope)  ;) I hope he can fill in more details about how it looked back then.
Well, i still get told that the car came from Florida and was a top fueler. And i halso heard it once ran an nitro injected hemi in New Hampshire - non blown. Not sure what to trust here. But so far so good.
I have looked at so many thousands of pictures, and never found anything on them that reminded me very much of mine - but now, with the new information, i need to start all over again..haha, at least if i dont get any names.

Here is a teaser;

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 04:33:50 PM »
Cool!
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline JeffV8

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Quaker city
  • Your Vehicle: 164" Woody Gilmore Flexie
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 05:41:56 PM »
xxxx I wish it was that easy for my car. I'm glad you are getting its history.

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2014, 12:22:29 AM »
xxxx I wish it was that easy for my car. I'm glad you are getting its history.

Thanks guys!
"Easy" is not the correct word to use.....  ;D
I think i have spent hundreds of hours searching and asking around. Even in languages i dont understand a word of. You know, they speak some kind of weird french in Quebec  ;)

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 06:27:36 AM »
How about this  8) This is one of the oldest ones i have for now. Wish i could see the complete graphic. Trying to get more pics, but not that easy. It said Rooster.

Here in action. This is around 20 years before the new cage was made, and it has a different wheeliebar setup. The fixed frontend however is in place from this "version" of the car:

This is a bit newer, and with another owner:

This time it was painted blue:

Later on it was painted red again before beeing sold back to USA.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 06:33:38 AM by gasserx »

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 06:38:18 AM »
And since im at it...

This should be somewhere in the Canadian part of the history too, i think between the blue and "newest" red version. Then owned by a guy named Dan Gavender.

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 06:44:47 AM »
And for those of you that would like to see more...  ;)
Here are the 1988 and later pictures, starting with the oldest:

Little bit of upgrades:

New owner again:

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 06:53:35 AM »
Great research!

So was it carbureted most of the time?