Drag Racing Discussions > Gassers

Another VW gasser

(1/3) > >>

Dolmetsch:
My friend Bill Vilneff who gave me the VW body after he found an earlier one has finished his car and will debut it tomorrow at Historic Picton Airfield. Powered by a 383 chevy with a turbo 350 trans pushing a spooled 10 bolt rear it has that classic high stance from back in the day. He is a bit nervous which is understandable but will make a few very soft passes till he is sure all is well. The drivetrain is already a proven combo having powered his 64 chevelle racer car for many years so there should be no issues there as it was a very good working car and absolutely nothing has been changed except Bill built a proper set of fenderwell headers for the bug. car uses a narrowed handi van front axle with parallel leafs steered by the VW original steering box but set up for cross steering. Bill opted this time for the old finish which surprised me since all his other cars are show quality finish. He really wanted this one to have the "back in the day " look. His wife Rita standing beside him was a great encouragement and stepped up with her sewing skills to do the cars minimal upholstery. Also an accomplished  artist she hand lettered the car where Bill asked. This photo was taken back in May.
don

GlennLever:
I would be afraid of the short wheel base.

Dolmetsch:
Not I. When properly set up they handle like  dream. Longer then an Anglia or a Prefect or an Austin and just a couple of inches shy of an early Willys. I am more concerend about the lack of Wheelie bars. I think Bill built it at 98 inch Wheelbase . 96 is stock for a BUG.
I am taking my video camera so we shall see.  I would have built it lower but it isn't mine so? Bill is one of my former students when I taught in the provincial institute of trades program. We have been friends ever since. He is a very very good welder having worked many years as an industrial welder both in stainless and steel. In his 40s he bought a garage business and served his apprenticeship. He and his wife Rita run a small ma and pa repair shop in Keene Ontario which would be the envy of anyone. It looks like a 1930s garage. You may have met them before as they have been to Empire with the ONDR  group but Bill would have had is Chevelle.
don

Dolmetsch:
After some test runs and a bit of tire pressure adjustment Bill made some passes. The one I saw was a full on all out race and the bug did itself proud winning handily. It ran as straight as a car can run with no issues. Later in the day it developed a lifter problem but all in all for first day out of the box it was a complete thumbs up. It also picked up a trophy handed out by one of three old salts from back in the day. The track supplies these old racers with a trophy with their name on it IE Beezers pick  and they hand it out to the car they feel is most deserving and then report the car number to the track officials. The crowd really loved the Bug.
don

Dolmetsch:
I am putting together an experimental engine (slant six) for this car. I am kinda out on a limb with it as it appears no one has tried it with this engine. This is what I call a Dixie Cup Engine. Potential throw away. Built with low cost parts  use them to explore if an idea has any potential.  I never sell them but if they survive the test the good stuff gets substituted and it becomes my main piece. That said in 40 years all my Dixie cups have survived how ever this may be different. I may have pushed the envelope a bit hard. Anyway I am putting it together Saturday now that all machining is done and parts are here.
Block is .100" over and compression is much higher then I normally run. Pictures after Sat.
don

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version