Author Topic: New member from Glendale AZ  (Read 7557 times)

Offline Marks63Catalina

• View Profile
New member from Glendale AZ
« on: February 04, 2013, 09:54:45 PM »
Hello to all. I'm know Glenn from a couple of Pontiac forums and saw his invite to join. I do not have and probably will never have a chance to build or own a front engine drag car. I am currently building a street/strip '63 Pontiac Catalina Street Freak/Gasser with twin turbos on a '60 Pontiac 389 block. But I'm here mainly to pick up on any tech and ideas that I might be able to apply to my car. I'm also a big fan of the  nostalgic dragsters and alter setc. So I plan to get a lot of enjoyment from other peoples projects and triumphs. Thank you for allowing me to join your group. Mark L
You can lead a man to knowledge, but you can't make him think!

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: New member from Glendale AZ
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 05:28:19 AM »
Welcome aboard. You know your stuff and are welcome here!
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 06:24:37 AM »
Twin turbos, sounds good.  I like Pontiacs too.  My dad had two new Pontiac station wagons, a dark blue '65 catalina and a '70 bonneville, green metallic with fake wood grain sides.  My mom had a new gold 1967 lemans 326.  Wish I had those cars back.   Here's pictures, guess what engine...

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 06:28:45 AM »
I know Mark has seen this before , but here are two Pontiac powerd FEDs side by side

Published on Aug 20, 2012

A very rare site - 2 very similar looking FEDs and they both are powered by Big Block Pontiac engines. When was the last time you saw 2 of these nostalgia front engine dragsters side by side with Pontiac power ?? Here it is.

Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Marks63Catalina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 08:32:51 AM »
Glenn thanks for the welcome. When I saw your post that this site was starting up. I had to be a part of it. Nothing neater than the old front engine or any nostalgic drag cars. The best part of the old days was the fantastic diversity of engines, transmissions, parts collections and swaping. Nothing was standardized so many ran either what they liked or just had on hand.  All those years pared down the designs/types to just a few, and that's great for and works for the modern times. But the old days were special. I really wish you well on the future of th esite. I think it will be a hugh smash.
I did see that you had a Gasser section so I do have a home to participate in. Although my Pontiac is not exactly tradional, I can still enjoy the cars and people involved with these cars.
Denver, you think ya's gots me?? HUH?? HA! I've got a Pontiac 4 sitting in my shed. If I ever get done with my present project I really want to build a Pontiac 4. There's a guy in NY that has built a turbocharged 4 and put it in his '64 Lemans convert. He took a Torker intake and modified it but he is having some fuel distibution problems. So he is perfecting his combination right now. But even though he is having fuel problems, he has topped over 600 HP with it. I can see over 700 when he gets it figured out.
I do remember seeing pics of that little dragster running the Pontiac 4 with the adapted 409 valve cover. I have no idea why he did that but it sure makes it unique and different. Canadian Pontiacs used Chevy motors in the '60's. They used 409s for their special high performance Catalinas and Bonnevilles etc. My guess is the builder is Canadian and wanted to use the 409 valve cover because his experiences were with the 409 in Pontiacs, wanted to keep that connection???  OR, he just wanted to be different. Which I applaud.
Glenn, I still love your dragster and I keep popping in at PY to see how you're doing. Massive project but you're doing great on and the blower is going to be one heck of a nice set up. Can't wait to see it running again.  Again thanks for the welcome and I plan to enjoy the site. 

Mark L
You can lead a man to knowledge, but you can't make him think!

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:12:30 PM »
Exactly right.  You receive an A+ for todays pop quiz, plus extra credit for having a tempest engine.  Can't sneak anything by you : )