Author Topic: sdra rules.info???  (Read 6175 times)

Offline hotrod316

• View Profile
sdra rules.info???
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:54:04 PM »
hey can anyone post up some more info on these hamb styled dragsters. would love to take to the local track and see what they would say about letting them run, any info would be rad!!!

MAtt

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
Re: sdra rules.info???
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 10:28:32 PM »
My original SRDA rules were a bit different then the Tulsa gangs. I build mine by the gen regs per the IHRA or NHRA rule book butlimit the wheelbase to 100 inch (not less then 92) My current ride is 96 inch. I use the general regs for FED which are very particular around the cage / manbox. I use mild Steel .120 min DOM and  mig welder . I follow all rules as they pertian to steering heim joints safety washers etc. I run a 1/8 steel floor as well and the same for a fire wall. Battery is not in the manbox and electrical power shut off is per the rules. I run a posi rather then a spool. I narrow the rear end and place the vent outsde the manbox. I run a 5 point harness and the dual rollbar even though I hate the look. I run slicks. I use a six cylinder with automatic trans and I use a hand brake for stopping. No more then 6 inches of fuel hose on the car and because it is an electrical fuel pump I kill it with the switch. I run steel wheels and normal studs and nuts which gives me proper protrusion through the wheel as per safety rules. If I ran mags I would install the long studs and open ended nuts. My roll bar has a double rear bar because It is so wide. if I was skinnier I would only have built it with one. My car is equipped with a pair of small fog lamps for night running as I hate racing into the darkness. My shifter is homemade but has a Z style gate making accidental reverse impossible. I run arm restraints on my wrists and wear a 5 series suit. I carry a rule book in my tow vehicle and if at a new track throw it in the seat of the rail when I go for tech so I can reference if need be.  At most tracks the techs are more savy to door slammers so it helps to have the info at your finger tips. I have had issues with coolant overflow cans which while adequate for normal racing did drip if I was left staging several minutes. I cured that with a tall homemade drainable unit . While I get a few odd looks I have not yet been refused. I did have a IHRA silver friend give it an inspection and he gave it a complete thumbs up. I also run the red running light on the rear for safety.  I make sure my tires are good. Wheel nuts per the rules , seat belts clean and in excellent shape and approved helmut. During tech I only respond to questions I don't engage in conversation. I try to be sure despite my cars short wheelbase although certainly legal length that it is By the book including helmut bars etc. On top of that any area I was not comfortable with I did additional work to be sure it suited me as well. I am now in my 8th season and have no issues and BTW neither have I had to do any chassis repairs. Before I go racing I wipe the whole chassis down which forces me to look it all over in the process. Building from the rule book eliminates a lot of hassles I think  even though I do believe  the HAMB cars are quite safe. This covers any problems you might run into. Sometimes the rules seem a bit strict but it is easier to comply then it is to fuss about it. It took me a long time to learn that BTW.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 10:49:56 PM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline hotrod316

• View Profile
Re: sdra rules.info???
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 08:31:23 PM »
cool thanks. 8)